Sunday, January 9, 2011

SAFETY ZONES! 1/9/11

AS A CHILD I remember always wanting to be within my safety zones. It didn't matter what it was, I didn't want to get hurt, embarrassed or be afraid. I remember walking home after dark and looking behind me just in case someone else could be there, walking after dark also. I taught my children to walk in the cross walk and not in the middle of the street.

IT IS FUNNY some of the things I remember being afraid of. My sister Janice use to tell me to cover my mouth when I saw a bug because it could count my teeth and then I would die. To this day I cover my mouth when I see a worm, a bug, a snake or anything that creeps along the ground. You would think by this time I would have put all of that behind me.

I REMEMBER Janice telling me about when she bought some candy in the movie theater and each time she put some in her mouth she felt something around her mouth and would brush it off. When the lights came on, she discovered she had tiny, little worms in her package of candy. Yes, I was the most gullible of little girls and Janice knew she had me in the palm of her hand. I still look in the package!

TO THIS DAY I still need my safety zones. I need to feel secure! I noticed yesterday, as Jim and I traveled over the hill to Medford, the road signs that were designed to keep us safe and secure on the road. There are the speed limits; arrow's indicating the curve in the road; signs that said "safety corridor" for the next 18 miles; turn lights on for safety. These are designed to keep us alert and paying attention as we drive along the highways and byways on the roads that take us from here to there.

HAVE YOU EVER noticed that God's word is filled with directional information that keeps us to the path that leads to salvation and not destruction. The most familiar is called the Ten Commandments that are filled with; "Though shalt not's!" God wasn't just showing His power and His position as God Almighty. God was telling us that He loves us so much that if we abide by His rules we will be living within the Safety Zones of His kingdom.

PERSONALLY, I love the Safety Zones of His kingdom. "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:15 I believe keeping God's commandments is our Safety Zone. "He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me and he who loves me will be loved by my Father and I will love him and manifest myself to him." John 14:21 It reads simple, doesn't it. But it is far from simple!

LET'S READ ANOTHER verse that says the same thing. "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love!" John 15:10 It is obvious to me that if Jesus was to keep His Father's commandments to continually abide in His love, we too must keep Jesus' commandments, so that we too will continue to abide in the Father's love.

THE ALL IMPORTANT command is to love God and one another. It too sounds simple, doesn't it? In reality this is not simple at all. It takes decision making; concentration; perseverance and dedication on our part. God merely waits patiently as we continue to grow in putting our trust in Him. One of the keys to the kingdom is; "Let your heart hold fast my words, keep my commandments and live. Do not forget and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. Get wisdom; get insight." Proverbs 4:4-5

TRAVELING on the road when it says; "safety corridor," doesn't mean that this area is safe. It is saying, be careful, be alert, watch for ice. When God says; "keep my commandments" this is no more a suggestion than the road sign. It is for your well being; your security and it leads to eternal life in our home away from home. This world is not my home, I am just passing through; my treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue. Take care to follow the map and stay on the path of righteousness. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/8/11