Saturday, March 3, 2012

ON FIRE OR BURNED OUT? 3/4/12

HAVING BEEN in the service of the King for lots of years I have heard the term “burned out,” many times. Having that feeling doesn’t mean you have decided not to follow Jesus, but that you are tired of doing the same things. If you need an excuse to stop something, saying; “I am burned out” clarifies your position to others. Perhaps the feeling comes from not having found the place of service you were seeking. We are all not cut out for the same area of service. However, if you don’t try you would never know!

HAVING served in many different area’s of the church I can honestly say that I have found pleasure in all of them. I have never felt burned out, or at least never thought of it in those terms. But found that stepping aside for others to do them, was a good thing. The body needs to grow and not become stagnate by one person. New and fresh ideas can make all the difference in the world!

I REMEMBER the pastor of my youth, commenting on a boy in the Sunday School, he said; Bobbie is a good leader; now if he could just lead in the right direction. I suppose that could be said about anyone! Are you a leader? Do you see yourself as a leader and do you know which direction you are leading? Do you have a GPS in your life, like some have in their car?

WE DO NOT have a GPS in our car or on our cell phone. Jim uses the internet when he wants to see how to get from here to there. Works pretty good, but of course he does it before we leave home; for us it is a “don’t leave home without one!” There is no excuse anymore, for getting lost. There is no excuse to ignore your talent in the service of the King. Be ready to dance!

WHEN YOU need motivation to step up to the plate, just look around you at those who are leading and think about the kind of leader you could be. Being a leader is not always being the up front person with authority and personality. A leader is one, that others pay attention to, listens to and wants to emulate.

I RECENTLY attended a Sunday School “teachers” meeting. These were people who have stepped up to the plate to teach. Three of them are public school teachers and yet they choose to continue with their profession, in the Sunday School. WOW! What leaders they are!

“LET YOUR good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:16 Jesus said this while sitting upon the mountain, talking to all those who saw Him as a great leader and teacher. Yes, Jesus is saying that we must do things for all to see. He said to let yourself shine brightly, so those who follow you, can see that you love God, and this will cause them to praise His name! I am thankful to have been counted among teachers of God’s Word!

“TAKE A NEW GRIP with your tired hands, and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet, so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.” Hebrews 12:12-13 Sometimes we feel burned out when serving the Lord, and head for a back seat. But instead of quitting, Paul says to strengthen your hands and knees by readjusting your grip. He says when you do, your way becomes fresh and those who are following behind you, are filled with renew strength themselves. If you are ready to become refreshed, do it and praise God!

CIRCUMSTANCES may call for you to step down, but do not let them cause you to fade out. We all need to step back and refresh ourselves so that we can begin again. But once a leader, always a leader. You have tasted of the goodness of our Lord, and you will thirst for it again. Be assured that your service to the King never goes unnoticed. “I hold you by your right hand; “I, the Lord your God!” And I say to you; “Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you!” Isaiah 41:13 I never dreamed I could be a leader, but I am! I never dreamed I would have followers galore, but I do. If God can use me like this, He can use you! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/25/12

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

Reminds me of that saying that I love about God's calling:

"God does not call the qualified. He qualifies those He calls." This is SO true. In all my nearly 30 years of ministry, I have NEVER felt "qualified." But I continue to sense the strong call of God.

I remember sharing this verse with a friend many years ago who felt "burned out," and doubted that he had made any difference for the kingdom, despite all his efforts:

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." Hebrews 6:10