Saturday, May 5, 2012

BLOOD PRESSURE RISING! 5/6/12

A LITTLE OVER a month ago I began keeping a blood pressure log. I would check my blood pressure one hour after I take my medicine, which is twice a day. I know some of you out there, are familiar with this procedure. I was once told that if I would plant my feet flat upon the floor and take several deep breaths before I took my blood pressure, I would have a better reading than if I just took it. It works! However, the Doctor says, that your blood pressure should read good no matter what you are doing or feeling. Now, I suppose that depends upon how many pills you are taking that would keep you from the reading of cause and effect. CAUSE AND EFFECT is my usual. I have to sit down for at least 5 minutes with my feet planted on the floor and taking the deep breaths so I would have a good reading. Otherwise they say “your reading is elevated, we need to find out why it is so erratic.” Perhaps it is because I am so erratic! This morning my #1 grandson, Adam is experiencing a throat condition which he often has. Strep; sore; and now an abscessed tonsil. Also this morning I discovered I had doubled booked myself for Saturday. I could feel my blood pressure rising, and this morning, I was to go in and have my B/P checked! REMEMBER years ago, when you felt angry, you were to stop, take a deep breath and count to ten. I have heard that works; it helps to dispel some of the anger. Well if that works well for your well being, why can’t doing the same for your blood pressure be good? Oh, I know that your physiology is comprised of many different pressures and that is why we take medicines. But it seems to me if you can stop, sit still, while deep breathing, and it helps; it should be to your benefit. “COME UNTO ME, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29 Did I mention that when I am about to take my B/P I also pray to become calm. Jesus promises that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. It doesn’t add to ours; it gives us relief, from ours. Anxiety plays a big part when my blood pressure is rising. I can feel it creep up my neck! A CHEERFUL heart is a good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22 Did you know that I can have a cheery heart and high blood pressure at the same time? However, medicines can cause me to have a downcast spirit, which also makes my blood pressure rise. Trying to find out why my readings are so erratic is a puzzle. I guess to just stop everything and live in a closet would be the answer. But wouldn’t I want to decorate the closet? There goes the B/P rising! I AM NOT as concerned about this problem as much as the Doctors are. I use to be! But where did it get me? A stroke; two heart attacks; and a bad stomach. Well the stroke was minor; the two heart attacks resulted in two stints and the stomach is still up for testing. I am most verbal with my aches and pains. Jim receives the brunt of it all! I give him the blow by blows and He is patient. God says in Matthew 6:31 “Therefore do not be anxious, saying, what shall we eat? Or what shall we drink? Or What shall we wear?” We all do that don’t we? We look in our wallet’s and worry! “BUT SEEK first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.” Matthew 6:33 We do seek His kingdom and His righteousness and still worry about all things. We still cause our B/P to rise because we cannot let it go. We cannot wait! The now syndrom keeps drumming in our heads; what are we going to do; what are we going to do; what are we going to do? “THEREFORE, do not be anxious about tomorrow; for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day’s own trouble be sufficient for the day!” Matthew 6:34 Adam had his tonsil lanced and is feeling much better. My B/P was not bad enough to warrant a change in medicines. I get to have an endoscopy for my stomach and a carotid ultra sound next week. Nothing more to worry about today! All is well when you seek first His kingdom. Just writing this blog has cleared the blues away and my cheerful heart is once again the best medicine of all. Praise God! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/3/12

No comments: