Saturday, January 5, 2013

REACH FOR THE STARS! 1/6/13

LIFE IS a series of steps. First we are born, learn right from wrong; go to school and learn reading, writing, and arithmetic; enter into highschool for higher learning and for some, further learning to achieve degree’s in academic education. All of these steps took desire, perseverance and hard work.


SOME TAKE longer than others to achieve their potentials. But somewhere along the way we say; “we have arrived!” After achieving some of these steps to our full potential, we then move onto the next ladder. We have worked hard to be where we are, so now we are ready to take on the world in our chosen field, or perhaps a field we didn’t actually choose, but took, to survive.

COME ON NOW, you have been there and done this. I know, because I have also! It is true that many after highschool, married and began a family and so reaching for the stars seemed almost impossible. Didn’t have time to fulfill the dreams, but worked hard to maintain a standard of living.

GETTING married for me was stepping onto the third and longest ladder. I would have to admit that this was the most colorful, action packed, kind of roller coaster that I had ever encountered in all my (almost) 24 years. Wasn’t easy getting adjusted to becoming a twosome, as it was being just me! Wasn’t easy having to be accountable to this stranger, that was now always there. It took desire, perseverance and the most hard work I had ever experienced. Worth it?   Absolutely!

THEN CAME the children! I had never learned how to discipline myself, let alone become a disciplinarian. You know what I mean! No one has ever written a book on how to raise children that really fits the bill because, no two children are alike! God does not give us a book of instructions that comes with each baby. But what God gave me, was a love that overwhelmed me. This love was not just for my children, but the twosome that was now a foursome. Wasn’t easy becoming a mother! Wasn’t easy establishing rules and keeping promises and at the same time, developing a right atmosphere so that our children would grow to enjoy life.

GOD PLACED the stars in the heavens so that the night would have light. God placed the Holy Spirit within His people so that they would have access to light all the days of their earthly life.  I have heard that “reaching for the stars” is a metaphor for “following your dream” or “grabbing the brass ring.” On television there are programs with this idea of letting your talent give you all that the world can give. Some are successful as the world deems success!

BECOMING a Christian at the age of 10, I didn’t have the foggiest idea what I had committed myself too. What I did know was that this was the right thing to do! As the years passed and I began to learn more and more of what was required of me as a Christian, I knew it was going to take desire, perseverance and lots of hard work. I remember once thinking I could never be a Catholic, because they had to memorize so much. When I realized that being obedient to God’s will was stretching my total self, did I know that memorization, was nothing compared to the path I had chosen.

“THEREFORE, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Philippians 2:12-13    We must be diligent in all ways to be careful not only to work at our salvation, but we must work out our salvation, by doing all that is to be done, as a follower and doer of God’s will by persevering to the end. Salvation is not a means to an end. Salvation is something we should set our minds and hearts upon because we cannot totally attain it without taking care of it. Paul says with fear and trembling, because this is something we need to be highly concerned about with circumspection. Trembling for fear you come up short. Be careful to do everything that is required, as you walk! “Therefore, while the promise of entering His rest remains, let us fear just in case we fail to reach it.” Hebrews 4:1       By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/4/13

No comments: