Saturday, June 15, 2013

RULES FOR DADS! 6/16/13

TODAY is father’s day. A day to remember our fathers, which Jim and I do often. I love thinking about Jim as a young father, trying to become all that he could be to his children. But fathers are restricted because of their place in life as the provider. It keeps them away from home and even sometimes during the more, critical developing years. But when I watch my son, as a father to his three strapping boys, I can see that Jim’s rules have paid off.

WHEN JIM AND I became parents we knew it was the most natural thing to happen to us after we married. When the natural became a reality what were the rules? Jim knew that he now had responsibility to care not only for a wife, who was now a mother, but a baby of which he knew nothing about. What he did feel, was an overwhelming sense of pride, fear and excitement.


I REMEMBER asking Jim during the days of expectation if he was proud to become a father? He said; “No!” I can’t remember what else he said after that, but I was surprised. Most men would feel some pride about becoming a father for the first time. A few hours after my son was born, Jim stood at the foot of my hospital bed and said; “Remember when you asked me about being proud to be a father?” I said; “Yes!” “Well, I am very proud!” He was almost shy, and maybe a little bit embarrassed as he said that! But I understood exactly what he meant!

BECOMING a parent is the most common thing to happen to a man and woman who have promised themselves to each other. It is almost as American as baseball and apple pie! But is it? As I remember, it was the most amazing thing that happened to Jim and me. First it was Danny and then it was Jennifer; we became a family! A family comes with the good and the bad, but in retrospect, looking back, we wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. God has been good to us!

JIM has been a good father. His rules were, and still are very simple. One is, he is a man of integrity. He is honest and above reproach. The second one is, Jim has shown wisdom by learning to lean upon God, and being an example to his children. Thirdly, Jim has always tried to go the extra mile by becoming a Godly Father. In no way, is he perfect but then neither am I! However, these things are in the eyes of the beholder. The possibilities are unlimited; we are still experiencing God!

“TRAIN up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it!” Proverbs 22:6    I have to admit that raising our two children in the way they should go, wasn’t as easy as we thought it would be. I remember Jim saying once though, that God made it easy for us with Danny and Jennifer. WOW! Again, that doesn’t mean either one of them are perfect, but they are faithful to the Lord!

“FATHERS, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord!” Ephesians 6:4    The new rules of the day have got it all wrong when it comes to discipline. Sparing the rod doesn’t make much sense if you want get their attention. Sending them to their room, plus no TV for a week, doesn’t make sense either. We tried that and felt we were the ones being punished! The kids read their books and listened to their music; and were happy!!

“FATHERS, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged!” Colossians 3:21   Encouraging your children is necessary and critical to their well being! When you teach your children how to love and honor each member of the family, a sound relationship develops within the family. “Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord! Colossians 3:20

OH LORD, my prayer today is for my three grandson’s; that they will also develop the same Godly characteristics of their Dad and Grandpa! To become Godly men with integrity and the wisdom to love you, their wives and their children. I pray that you will give them a future that will always include you, so that they can lead with confidence! Having children is a blessing; having children who love the Lord, is only from God!     By Jane Ann Crenshaw 6/13/13

No comments: