Saturday, March 1, 2014

MY NAME IS CHRISTIAN! 3/2/14

I’VE HEARD that the name Christian sets many people on edge.   They have the idea that those who are called Christian means they are homophobes, judgmental, full of bigotry, fanatic, intolerant and they walk with an attitude of being full of themselves or all pious.  Jesus is referred to as the WAY, but more importantly, we should remember that he chased the money changers from the temple courtyard.  The world didn’t change His mind or deter Him from His mission.   The world said they didn’t like it; they indicated they were afraid of it, but Jesus said; this is who I am because I am, who I am!    Who was He?   He was the Son of God and He was in the beginning before we knew there was a beginning.  He became the light of the world!  

PERSONALLY, I like the name Christian!    When I confessed Jesus as my Savior and was baptized, I accepted His name for my own.   Christian means “Christ One!”   I belong to Jesus, He is my Savior; He has set me free!   When I married Jim, I accepted his name!    I gave up the name I was born with, and I have never regretted taking his name!   Did it change me?   Absolutely!

I DON'T USUALLY use Webster’s dictionary when writing these devotionals but I think today’s topic warrants it.   Christian means Professing the religion of Christ; representing a Christian people; having traits exemplified by Christ, as humility, etc.   Christianity means we follow Christ’s teaching; we are the Christian part of the world; state of being a Christian!   Why would I want to change my name for anything else when these words identify who I am in Christ.    A part of me wants to say to the world; “World, get use to it!   God is here to stay!”

“SO BARNABAS went to Tarsus to look for Saul; and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch.  For a whole year they met with the church, and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians.”  Acts 11:25-26     Some think they were called Christians by those who were not part of this radical movement.     I have always thought, if it isn’t broken, why try to fix it!   This name has set God’s chosen people apart for over 1,967 years!

“AND AGRIPPA said to Paul; “In a short time you think to make me a Christian!”  And Paul said; “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you, but also all who hear me this day, might become such as I am, except for these chains!”  Acts 26:28-29    Why bicker over a name, when the person who’s name you wear, has lifted you from the bondage of sin, and replaced it with the bondage of GRACE!    Those who are intimated by this name needs Jesus!  Their rebellion cries for it!

THE WORLD knows who we are!    The world can either love or hate us but to deny who we are by giving ourselves a new name, would bring shame to me.  It is saying “I was wrong to call myself a Christian, so if it pleases you, I will say I belong to the WAY!   How is that going to make any difference?    “But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or a wrongdoer, or a mischief-maker; yet if one suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but under that name let him glorify God.”  1 Peter 4:15-16     We have a tendency to rationalize how to approach the world with Jesus!   I believe we are to love one another.   Loving our brothers and sisters in Christ; loving our families whether they follow Christ or not; and living peacefully and lovingly in the world is what God has called us to do.

  WHEN JESUS prayed for the coming church He said; “The glory which you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one.  I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”  John 17:22-23   Remember the song; “They will know we are Christians by our love!”?    How responsible is that?    How pleasing to the Father when we are doing that!   “For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?  1 Peter 4:17      By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/27/14

No comments: