Saturday, March 7, 2015

BEST FOOT FORWARD! 3/8/15

ONE OF THE MOST memorial things my Mother taught her daughters is how to stand, especially when having your picture taken. She said that standing towards the right always cup your right hand into the cup of your left hand. Then with your right foot pointing a little towards the right, place your left foot pointing out with the heal resting slightly against the right foot. Chest out, shoulders back and your head tilted up!

NOW if you were to be facing towards the left - all is reversed except for your hands. That is your left foot is pointing a little towards the left, your right foot is pointing out with the heal slightly resting against the left foot. But your hands are always with the right cupped into the left. We have pictures! I bet I got it right, but if not, my sisters will let me know!

THE QUESTION IS; ‘Which foot facing forward is the best?’ You have heard it said that we should always put our ‘best foot forward!’ Is my right foot better than my left? Is my right hand better than my left? Well for me I am right handed which means it is easier for me to lead and do with my right. When I start to walk I think I always lead with my right foot. When I write, eat or do anything that requires my hand I lead with my right. How about you?

THE BEST FOOT FORWARD came about during a period of several centuries. European noblemen and wealthy gentry were greatly concern about beauty of person. They added ruffled sleeves, powdered wigs, black satin knee breeches, and full-length hose above buckled shoes. I can visualize that; can’t you? We have seen pictures! It seems as though the idle rich in those days, took pride in showing off a good pair of legs. Go figure!

SOME WENT TO EXTREMES by showing preference to one leg as being more attractive than the other. Competition came about in wanting to make a greater sensation at all the grand affairs. He would find a special place where he could stand with his best-looking leg and foot in front, hoping to attract many glances. By the 16th century, a person wanting to make a good impression knew just what to do. He would put his ‘best foot forward,’ and by doing so helped to create this phrase, that we still use today.

THOSE WHO follow the teachings of Jesus Christ know that our body is the temple (house) of the Holy Spirit. If we have Christ within us our lives take on a different dimension of attitudes. How should I speak; where should I go; what should I wear; what is my course of action; how can I best serve Him, and with each breath we seek His directions. Everything we need to know on ‘how to live a Christian life’ is in God’s Word!

‘LET THE WORD of Christ dwell in you richly, teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father, through Him.’ Colossians 3:16-17   This is speaking to our works and service in His Kingdom.

‘SO, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God!’ 1 Corinthians 10:31 Always ask yourself the question; ‘is this going to glorify my God or is this going to drag me down?’ God also says to wives; ‘Wives, submit to your husbands, as to the Lord!’ Ephesians 5:22 How are wives to submit to the Lord; we are to love Him with all our hearts, soul and minds - give Him our all! We are to love our husbands; take care of them, give them honor and respect and raise their children to love the Lord.

‘BE GENEROUS with the things God has given you. If words, use God’s words; if help, let it be through God’s help. That way God’s presence will be evident in everything you do; He will get the credit because He is the mighty ONE in everything.’ 1 Peter 4:11 All we have is in Christ, and no matter what; He makes it our best!     By Jane Ann Crenshaw3/8/15

(Why You Say it - by Webb Garrison)

No comments: