Sunday, June 20, 2010

THE FOREVER JOB! 6/13/10

When the Doctor told me that Jim and I were to become parents and that we could plan on a boy, I asked Jim; "Will you be proud to be a father of a son?" Jim's reply surprised me but then he was a quiet man. "No;" he said! "Everybody has children!" That was one of Jim's more philosophical thoughts!

Within a few hours after our son Danny was born, Jim was standing at the foot of my hospital bed. He grabbed onto the bed rail and said; "Remember when you asked me if I would be proud to have a son and I said no!" I replied; "Yes?" Jim smiled; "Well, I am proud!" Jim was wonderful father to our children. He was so happy to have a son and then a daughter! His life was complete!

He not only fed them; bathed them; dressed them; walked the floor with them; got up in the night more times than I did, but he loved them and took his new position as Father very seriously. I was the one that played with them but he was the one that worried about providing for them. Our world changed the instant the children came. Our world was our children We loved our world!

In Genesis 33 the story of Jacob and Esau unfolds where they meet up again after many years in exile from one another. When Esau greets Jacob he asks in verse 5; "Who are these with you?" Jacob replies; "The children whom God has graciously given me." I love that! Children are a gift from God but many times we think it is our doing altogether. We think, oh no not another mouth to feed; we can't afford anymore children or the best one yet is; Let's wait until we can afford it! If we all waited until we could afford it; life would have ceased eons ago!

When our son became a father, his life also changed forever. But he too, like his father has taken his role very seriously. Times have not always been easy; plenty was not always the name of the game but when love is in large amounts the blessings of God overflows. I remember thinking when their third one came along; "We needed Jordan!" Now that all three boys have grown into fine young men, it is still clear that we needed these boys! Life has never been the same.

Watching my son grow from a very quiet and unobtrusive, except at the piano, young man, has been a delight unto my soul. He is a responsible, loving father and husband which has made my heart glad. I know many times he probably has wondered; "How can I do this?" But he has seen it all come together. I realize as a mother I probably see things with rose colored glasses but I have seen enough of the worldly effects on many young fathers and know their struggles compared to the positive successes of a Christian father. There is a difference, you know!

"Hearken to your father who begot you." Proverbs 23:22a But you say; "My father has abused me; how can I listen to him?" "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Ephesians 6:1 These scriptures have always been received with; "What if they ask us to do wrong things?" My answer is; "The verse says 'in the Lord'! "Honor your father and mother that it may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth." Ephesians 6:2-3 My contention is no matter how good or bad your biological parents were they gave you life. "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4 Parents who treat their children in love are loved in return!

When fathers, mothers and children lean upon their own understanding, they can become dysfunctional. Danny came home one afternoon from school and declared he learned we were dysfunctional. I asked; "Why are we dysfunctional?" "Well," he replied; "Because we don't set down together at the dinner table." My response was; "Well, whose fault is that?" As a pianist Danny was playing for most functions at the school. He wasn't home to set down with us at the table. He was required before, after and even for evening practices. However, I suppose all families can be dysfunctional, but with God all things have a balance. Happy Father's Day! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 6/16/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ministry is hard. Parenting - GOOD parenting - is downright difficult! They see all the flaws in us that everyone else sees, but close up, and they see MORE of them. Praise God for the love and graciousness of children, and their patience with us.

I think parenting is one way God teaches us what HE has to go through with humanity everyday, for years on end, with a few billion people. Considering what God goes through with all of us, I guess raising just three girls is not so hard after all.