Saturday, October 9, 2010

TO STEAL OR NOT TO STEAL? 10/9/10

NOW THAT IS A QUESTION, ISN'T IT! When I was a child the temptation was there as I would wander around in Floyd's Market on the corner of 147th and Hawthorne Blvd. Oh yes, I was faced with that very question! I have to think, because I was, so were you! Did I steal? I can't fully remember except I can see myself putting something in my pocket. Can't remember what it was or even if I kept it, or possibly had returned it. I know I didn't get caught, by the people at the store.

WHAT CAUSES us to not fight the urge to take something that doesn't belong to us? What causes us to want something so desperately, that we are willing to get it dishonestly and risk getting caught? Why can't we see that we are treading on dangerous ground?

THESE PAST THIRTY YEARS or so, the housing market flourished, then gravitated from a buyers market into a sellers market. Many bought into the greener pastures and now have hung up the shingle that says; "in foreclosure." Couldn't we see what was coming? Couldn't we realize that spending a half million dollars on a home could lead to possible bankruptcy? Couldn't our income dictate our desires?

CREDIT CARDS have made somebody rich, but in reality, it has made most of us to be in debt. I know; because we have those cards too! In our world, being in debit, is normal! However, this normal, is taking us way over our heads. I don't want to be classified as being in the "new" normal. I realize that when changes come we have to take a different tact and lay out a new strategy, but wouldn't it have been easier if we had only spent what we have in our pockets.

AS YOU READ GOD'S WORD we find that He takes pleasure in our successes! He takes pleasures in our humbleness! He takes pleasure in our obedience to Him! Does He take pleasure when riches and signs of prosperity take precedence over our allegiance to Him? "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed, a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions!" Luke 12:15

IN MANY PLACES of the Bible you read; "our cup runs over, He is our Shepherd, we receive blessings and blessings, a peace that passes all understanding; we have a mansion in heaven and life eternal. None of this has cost us anything because Christ has paid it all! In Psalms 20:4 the Psalmist says; "May He give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed!"

IN ORDER for us to receive the desires of our hearts we must use wisdom not only in our finances but circumspect fully in our walk with God. When we seek God's favor we must first check our motives before we petition the Lord for our wants. "Now to Him, who by the power at work within us, is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think." Ephesians 3:10

WE HAVE the Holy Spirit within us! Our help lives with us! Many want to pray the prayer of Jabez and WALLA, we have it all! I don't pretend to understand the prayer of Jabez but I do understand when God says; "Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house and thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing." Malachi 3:10

JAMES, IN CHAPTER 4, talks about passions and desires; our wanting and not able to obtain so we wage war and kill. James says we ask and do not receive! Why? Because we ask with wrong motives. He calls us "unfaithful creatures!" "Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." James 4:4 Lord, help me to put you first in my life! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/8/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

When we use those credit cards we are stealing from ourselves which in turn means we are stealing from God. We are seeking the blessings at any cost--even willing to pay interest on them. But oh how easy it is to convince ourselves of our "need" to have the item now.

I vividly remember my only time of stealing. Two friends and I were in Woolworths and looking at the candy in those big bins where you mix and match. We were drooling and then noticed no one was in sight so we each took our favorite piece, went outside and giggled and ate them. That was so easy we went back inside and this time got a little tiny doll and again retreated outside. Then one of us, I wish I could say it was me but I don't really remember, said "You guys, don't you realize what we are doing. This is stealing and we are already progressing from that piece of candy. Let's go put it back. We did, and as far as I know none of us every did that again. I'm thankful for the good teaching of our parents. But it helps me understand how easy that is to get a start.