Sunday, May 15, 2011

BEFORE YOUR TIME! 5/15/11

I HAVE received many e-mails that talk about times passed. Usually they are referring to the 50's and earlier. I was just a teen in the 50's and think about it as being just yesterday. My youngest sister Jeri asked one of my older brothers if he lived during the days of the bow and arrows. Of course she was only in the single digits at the time and that question had merit. Lonnie was quite a bit older than she was!

THIS PAST WEEK I received an e-mail about the changes that will be coming. I mean changes from what has been, to never be again. It is hard to imagine never having some of the things that we do have today. But when you think about not having things, that us old folks have had all our lives, seems a little bit preposterous.

ACCORDING to this e-mail, in our lifetime 9 things are going to disappear! Without details, here are the 9. The post office; the check; the newspaper; the book; the land line telephone; music; television; things that you own, and privacy. The most curious is the things we own. All of the above are or will be replaced by the computer in the sky. Meaning that we use to own some of these things but in the future they will simply reside in the clouds. We will be storing everything on our hard drives. That is if you buy a computer and know how to use it.

I CAN’T imagine these little hand held computer books, could ever take away the book. I can’t imagine walking into a library of little hand held computer books, sitting on little shelves. I can still remember looking for the isle of my favorite author; smelling the smell of old books and hearing my leather sole shoes clicking across the hardwood floors of the silent cathedral that is filled with the mysterious adventures of childhood, teen years, satisfying my adulthood with wisdom and knowledge besides gothic romances.

I REMEMBER televisions and peeking through the neighbors screen door to watch “Kookla, Fran and Ollie,” until they closed the door which meant we were to go home. When Lonnie bought his first TV we would watch boxing and Gorgeous George in the wrestling matches and when we got bored we always had the radio and the outdoors. Losing TV might not be a bad thing but replacing it with hand held, little gidgeewoppers, is not necessarily a good move in the right direction.

IF YOU are interested in history and I am sure you are, then you are saddened when things come to an end but are excited about the advancement and the ease in which we live today. I love modern conveniences. The washing machine, the clothes dryer, the dish washer, electricity, heating and cooking with gas. The pony express had seen it’s day and the modern post office has filled the communication gap. We grumble about the cost of stamps but we pay it because we still love the convenience.

“KEEP YOUR LIFE free from love of money and be content with what you have; for He has said, “I will never fail you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5 If we lose the way of life as we know it today, and exchange it for the new technology that we have seen coming with continued progress, don’t be afraid because in Hebrews 13:6 it says; “Hence we can confidently say, the Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid; what can man do to me?” Jesus never changes no matter how progressive we become in our society.

“JESUS CHRIST is the same yesterday, today and forever!” Hebrews 13:7 No matter how many changes we have seen in our life time, be sure that through Jesus, we are equipped with everything good so that we may do His will. When we do this, we are pleasing in His sight. According to this e-mail we are to learn to adapt because, ready or not, they are coming. Well, brother and sister in Christ and those of you who may still be pre-Christian; ready or not, He is coming soon; just any day now; His face I’ll see! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/12/11

1 comment:

elandreth said...

The paperless world does make sense from the trees viewpoint. They keep sacrificing their lives so we can read. I have a Kindle but much prefer reading a book. We'd certainly have more room in our house if it weren't for all our books.

It's a different world for sure. I guess you and I have had the best of both worlds. The 20th and 21st century. All that and we get the best of God's heaven to come.