Saturday, December 10, 2011

APPLE OF ONE'S EYE! 12/11//11

THIS IS an age-old expression! One of my favorite things to do is search the meanings behind some of the things we say. The round pippin apple grew in Israel and for some reason reminded them of an eye. Sort of a vernacular comparison between the two objects; the apple and the eye. In the modern world we use this term to draw attention to anything extremely precious to us. We don’t look at the shape or color but just that they are, the apple of our eye!

WHEN I am shopping for apples my eyes are drawn to the bright shiny color of red. These look so beautiful in my fruit bowl. However, I love to eat the gala or fuji’s. When I am shopping, I can’t help but look at the cost. Today, apples are good, but pricey! But we buy them anyway!

DID YOU know that this phrase; “Apple of the Eye” is referenced in God’s Word? David writes in Psalms 17:8; “Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me in the shadow of Thy wings.” Of course he is saying; “God hide me and love me always!” God says in Proverbs 7:1-2 “My son, keep my words, and treasure my commandments within you. Keep my commandments and live, and my teaching as the apple of your eye.” Here God is saying; “Love my Word and live in my commandments!”

HAVE you ever thought of yourself as being the apple of God’s eye? Have you ever thought of yourself being the apple of anyone’s eye! I never really thought about myself being that precious to anyone, except for God. He sent His son and His son died for me so that I would be free. Still, the apple of His eye? Can I really be that?

HEZEKIAH 2:8, tells us that during the days of Hezekiah, God favored Zion, Israel; because of His love for Hezekiah. He laid out a decree that no one was to touch Israel, His chosen people, while Hezekiah was alive. God said; “do not touch the apple of my eye!” Of course, as the story goes, Israel fell out of favor with God later on, and then His greatest plan began to unfold.

“FOR GOD so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 We find that God delivered His only begotten Son, who was and is the Savior of the world. Through Jesus and the magnificent twelve the Church was to be established. Now that God’s Kingdom is outfitted with the church as His chosen people, do you believe that we have become “the apple of His eye!"

“HUSBANDS, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.” Ephesians 5:25-27 Jesus liken’s the church to a bride. Don’t you imagine that most husbands view their brides as “the apple of their eye?” I view Jim that way!

I REMEMBER watching Jim’s brother, when he was looking at his wife! His eyes sparkled with adoration. I would wish that Jim would look at me like that! The funny thing was, he did look at me like that, but I wasn’t ready to acknowledge it. Girls are enamored with the idea of love. We read romance novel’s and poetry that depict torrid feelings of love. We are enchanted with fairy tales where everyone lives happily ever after. But we can’t imagine someone loving us!

I BELIEVE that realizing we are the apple in God’s eye should give us an entirely different picture of God’s love for His church. I believe that if we are His bride, then the church should be intimately involved with her husband, Jesus! I believe that we should be devoted and in love with whom we have believed in. I believe that God says a wife and husband here, can share their intimacy with God when they become one. If I can understand this, so can you! God’s Word is not difficult to understand, you just have to be opened to it’s splendor!
By Jane Ann Crenshaw 12/6/11

No comments: