Saturday, January 21, 2012

FOR THE LONG HAUL! 1/22/12

RECENTLY I heard a term that I had to ask Jim what it meant; “Dead Heading!” I saw a big truck with a very long empty bed following behind. I said; “It seems that an empty bed is making a trip for nothing!” That is when Jim explained to me about dead heading. It is when a trucker takes a load to a destination and doesn’t have a load waiting for him to haul. He tries to get a load and many times fails and returns empty. Hence; dead heading! As usual this got me to thinking!

THE TERM long haul is a trucker who travels for the most part, interstate. Makes long trips which brought to my mind a journey I began 50 years ago. When I began the journey I was in it for the long haul because it did take me across state lines. However, long haul is staying on course and not letting anything cause you to throw in the towel. Now I know what throwing in the towel means, do you?

JANUARY 27th Jim and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary! I know many probably thought; “Will this even last a decade?” Well it did and as Jim says; “Life is like a roller coaster, It has it’s ups and downs, but oh what a ride!” In waiting for this day to roll around Jim and I have already experienced many 50th celebrations throughout this past year. Our first real date; when he asked me to marry him; when he put the ring on my finger and we became engaged; our first Christmas; our first beginning of a new year; and now it’s our wedding.

IN OUR simple celebrations throughout our 49th year, we are now at the year of our jubilee! “And you shall count seven weeks’ of years, seven times seven years, so that the time of the seven weeks of years shall be to you 49 years. Then you shall send abroad the loud trumpet on the tenth day of the seventh month; on the day of atonement you shall send abroad the trumpet throughout all your land and you shall hallow the 50th year and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants; it shall be a jubilee for you.” Leviticus 25:8-10a

WISH I had trumpeters’ to send out announcing our jubilee but just the reminder of God instituting a 50th celebration for the Israelites is a comforting thought for Jim and me while we celebrate in our quiet way. Reflecting on our atonement of divine truth and love which is Jesus Christ as the head of our home.

DID YOU KNOW that the day of jubilee was called by a variety of names? The year of liberty; the year of redemption and even the year of the Lord’s favor. It was also referred to as a holy year. During the 50th year all labor ceased and the people were to eat of what they had stored up from the previous year. You could redeem some urban properties that you had sold, and inheritances were restored, and you would free your slaves from their service to you. Of course you must understand that these things that could take place on the year of jubilee where contingent on your conditions. You must read the whole statute of the year of jubilee to fully understand.

WHEN YOU marry and remain married you too will reach your year of the Lord’s favor and can celebrate your roller coaster ride because you stayed on course for the long haul. In our society it is called the “golden anniversary,” but in God’s Word it is called “the year of Jubilee!” So far I have found the golden years to be suspect. Staying the course has brought to Jim and me a sense of joy and peace. Loving God has set us on the course of satisfaction and hope!

“MAY THE GOD of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13 Reaching this mile stone and still having a good time reminds me of a line in our wedding ceremony; “Remember your courtship smiling days, by treating each other as though you were still courting!”
By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/14/12

NOTE: I will not be blogging next weekend since Jim and I will be on our Jubilee! Be back on February 5th; until then, go and enjoy your day!

No comments: