Saturday, January 7, 2012

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! 1/8/12

PROCRASTINATION is a non productive trait! Putting off doing something is common place in most households. I think one of the biggest of all procrastination’s is cleaning. Cleaning cupboards; drawers, closets, cabinet’s and perhaps, throwing stuff away is the second. A few years ago, I decided I would clean one room at a time. One of the rooms was the linen closet and last year Jennifer cleaned it again and threw away everything I didn’t. Needless to say she is a lot more disciplined in throwing away than I am or ever will be.

IT IS EASY for me to accomplish more today than I use to. However, I still have boxes on the shelf in the closet that are marked Jane Ann’s stuff, or close to that. When I want to locate a certain memory, I usually ask Jim to bring those boxes out and I quickly look in them again, find what I want and then put them back until the next time. I realize they don’t mean anything to anyone else but me. But that is okay! I too, am important!

AROUND the first of the New Year getting organized is somewhat of a priority. Doesn’t mean it happens, because that nasty word “procrastination” creeps in, causing us to anticipate tomorrow. Ah, tomorrow! What would we do without tomorrow’s! Jennifer strives after every Christmas, to organize all of the decorations before she puts them away. The plan is solid and so it begins. Somewhere before completion it reaches the point of just putting it all away. Getting it done. Perhaps next year we will try again to organize.

I ASKED Jim what he thought about procrastination and he said; “I think it is a failure of man!” Jim is always thoughtful and logical! He is right, you know! Each time we put something off, we are showing our inability to stay on top of things. He hangs our clothes fresh out of the dryer. I fold the clothes he dumps on our bed fresh out of the dryer. Why is it I can take care of those kinds of things but put off cleaning my bath tub. I rationalize it with; I am the only one that uses that tub. Okay, I know that is not really appropriate for cleanliness!

WHAT kinds of things do you put off doing; procrastinating! I remember a small box that was passed around year after year, in which a Christmas gift would be given. Someone had written on it “do not” which was just left hanging in the air. The next time it was used someone wrote on it “procrastinate.” Another time someone wrote on it; “or you will be lost forever!” I often wonder if anyone else remembers that little box. I was pretty young so probably don’t remember it quite right.

SO I ASK you again; “What kinds of things do you put off doing?” I agree that some things are important and should be handled immediately, or at least as soon as possible. Other things are not critical to your well being or success. They are perhaps mundane things that can wait. But what about the things that cause clutter; that restrict your movement; that hamper your happiness and cloud your path.

“THEN the kingdom of heaven shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, “Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!" Then all those maidens rose and trimmed their lamps, and the foolish said to the wise, “give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.” But the wise replied, “Perhaps there will not be enough for all of us; go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.” Matthew 25:1-9 If you are not ready for the Master when He comes, will you be lost forever? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/4/12

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

Indeed, the Lord gave us both the same message, JaneAnn. I love how he arranges that sometimes (probably more often if we'd only notice). TODAY is the best day! Not tomorrow, not next week or next year. "Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light. Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil" (Eph 5:14-17).

And from one worrier to another, THANK YOU for the encouragement NOT to worry and to leave things in God's hands (where they belong).