Sunday, October 21, 2012

WHAT'S IN A NAME? 10/21/12

WHEN I WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL most of the jocks called each other by their last names. However, the girls always called them and each other, by their first names or by their ‘nicknames’! When Jim and I began our family, I had a book of names. I made a list of the names I liked and then Jim chose the names we used. Names are important! Names become the main identification link in our person. Our features, our stature and even our personalities can link us to our family but our name sets us apart within our family, our community and even within the kingdom of God!

GROWING up, most of my family called me Janie. I tried just Jane but never measured up to the movie stars who were called just ‘Jane!’ When I introduced myself to others, I always said; “my name is Jane Ann!” I remember telling Jim that my mother had always told me that when a man calls his girlfriend or his wife by anything other than her name it is because he couldn’t remember it. Jim always calls me “Jane Ann!” I always call him; “Jim!” Now Jim is a nickname for James! But he doesn’t look like a James, however, to his family he looks like his middle name; Richard! Go figure!

WHEN YOU became a part of the family of God, you received a new name. You are called Christian! When Jim is preaching many times he says; Christian, which is singular, meaning you and me. He is talking to each one of us and calling us by our name in Christ! The word Christian means; “Christ one.” In looking in the Webster’s new American Dictionary published in 1965, it means Christ; or professing the religion of Christ; representing a Christian people and having traits exemplified by Christ, as humility.
DURING the beginning of the church Paul, who’s name was changed from Saul, led a missionary team and set out for the utter most parts of the earth. This was because many were scattered abroad because of the persecution that arose after Stephen was stoned. Barnabas went looking for Paul. “And when he had found Paul, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time, called Christians.” Acts 11:26 Christ ones; meaning belonging to Christ! In other words God had appropriated the people for His own. A people called by His name!   Just like when he called the Jew’s in the Old Testament; Israelites. A group of people who came from Jacob and followed God.

THIS NEW NAME became known throughout the provinces even through the halls of King Agrippa who said; “In a short time you think to make me a Christian!” Acts 26:28b That was Paul’s desire; to bring King Agrippa to the feet of Jesus, as well as everyone he talked with. Paul taught everyone he met; “But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian. For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” Galatians 3:25-28

WHEN I AM ASKED to fill out papers and it comes to ‘religion’ I always write; “Christian!” I have no other name in Christ than Christian. I took Jim’s last name as my name when I married him; I was pleased to do that! However, I had already taken the name of Christ many years before that. That name was given to me along with the Holy Spirit. Why would I exchange that for any other name?

CHRISTIAN LIBERTY comes with the name of Christian. This liberty is a consequence of salvation. Liberty is freedom and is not a license to sin. This liberty is to bring us into total subjection to Christ and to break the bonds of sin. Conversely, the Christian finds his greatest liberty when he is in bondage to Jesus Christ. I answer to Jane Ann and am called Jim’s wife, but I love to be known as a Christian! How about you? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/20/12

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

I love my friends from various denominations, but I'm grateful to be part of a church family where I can say my religious affiliation is merely "Christian." And that's all I ever care to be.