Saturday, May 4, 2013

WHAT DOES R/R MEAN? 5/5/13

REMEMBER seeing the road sign R/R? My sister Joyce would say there’s a rough road ahead. To this day when I see the “railroad” sign I call it “rough road!” Most would recognize that sign to say, railroad tracks are ahead. Many use R/R as an abbreviation for rest and relaxation. American’s are known for their shortcuts regarding just about everything. Now days we use letters to identify Companies; names of persons, places and things. We use them to identify programs such as the WPA in the 40's, and today, AARP. And so it goes!

WE ARE A people of rest and relaxation and taking short cuts. We get tired easily and want a change of scenery. Now I am not saying that we are all alike. Many love where they are and who they are with and with what they are doing. I think, for the most part, I am like that! I even don’t mind all of the letters used to give an abbreviation for things, but I do mind having to remember what the letters say. For instance I know what the WPA and the AARP did and do, but what do the letters stand for?

MUCH OF our world or culture, is based solely upon the whims and desires of the individual. We seldom take into account those who belong to us, or depend upon us. Jesus said that we should consider others before we worry about ourselves. Do you know what Jesus is talking about? If we smack our thumb with a hammer, wouldn’t we want to give our thumb some tender loving care? Or do we have to flaunt that ugly, swollen thumb in everyone’s face to bring attention to our misjudgement?

I LOVE THE way God has provided for His kingdom, don’t you? He said that you should do unto others as you would want them to do to you. Yet, I hear of the body hurting one another because of silly discontents. Oh yes, discontent! We think we are either doing more than others, or our condition is more dire than others, or even there is a little bit of jealousy that can rear it’s ugly head.  Paul says he learned how to be content in all situations. I am still learning that concept and I know many others are still in school with that one. But if we want Joy then we need to learn to love!

OUR FRIEND Paul has a way with words and he didn’t pull any punches in using his way, to help us to stay on track. “Therefore, beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord, your labor is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58    It never ceases to amaze me how Satan can get in the tiniest cracks and cause big break ups with God’s people. Can you see how we become pawns in Satan’s plan? Don’t let him interrupt your walk!

“BE WATCHFUL, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.” 1 Corinthians 16:13 Another way that God has provided for His people is by the teaching of His Word. He say’s His Word is for correction and reproving His Church. There is not a time when I am in His Word or sitting in the pew or a class room that I don’t feel God putting me in my place. He wants us to study His word so that we will become like Him. Now I know that each one of us is a far cry from being like Him; but the question is, are we striving to become like Him?

“AND LET US not grow weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.” Galatians 6:9 The fruit that God has given each one of us is waiting to be tended to! The Holy Spirit is steady, and vigilant in providing us with all that we need, to claim God’s promises. Why should we get burned out? Why should we decide that we are too young or too old? Why? I was chosen by the pastor of my youth to be on the drapery committee when I was 10 years old. Here I am 75 years old and leading a Bible Study with faithful women who desire to have fellowship with one another and to continue to grow in God’s Word. Why? When you are tired or unhappy, God says to enter into His rest. When you are lonely and feel left out; get busy and join in!

“COME UNTO me all who are weary and heaven laden and I will give you rest.” Matt 11:28    Don’t quit what you are doing, don’t find fault with one another; look for comfort and rest in Jesus Christ. Be renewed in your spirit and allow the Holy Spirit to encourage and lift you up. I love this abbreviation; PBPWMGINFWMY!    Do you know what that says? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/3/13

No comments: