Saturday, July 27, 2013

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE? 7/28/13

WHAT IF SOMEONE asked you what your favorite ice cream was! What would your answer be? Some know right off the bat but for me my favorite can change everyday. On the food network there is a show called Unwrapped! The other night it was all about ice cream and when this show was filmed the consensus was that Strawberry was third, chocolate second and you guessed it; vanilla was number l! I have to admit that at one time my favorite was vanilla. Then it was strawberry and for a good period of time, chocolate. But my all time favorite is ‘Tin Roof Sunday!’ Oh my! I ordered a hot fudge Sunday and the restaurant was out of Vanilla and all they had was ‘Tin Roof Sunday!’ My ice cream life changed forever! When someone mentions ‘Tin Roof Sunday’, I not only want it, but I need it!


HAVE YOU EVER been asked what you believe in regard to your faith, or as some want to call it, your religion? Did you have an answer? Did you hum haw around trying to find the exact words that describes what you believe or perhaps what you think you believe? Have you found that many times your feelings seem to overpower your response and instead of an answer you give the name of the church you attend, hoping that would explain what you believe.

I HAVE discovered that people seem to go from church to church looking for what they can believe in. I find it ironic that they don’t seem to search the scriptures but look for a church that makes them feel okay. For some it says I can keep doing some of the things I do, they must not be so bad, because some of these people are doing the same things; it must be okay!

I HAVE ADOPTED the motto that came up some years ago through-out the Christian community that says; “What would Jesus do?” I love that! It takes the guess work out of my decisions, and I can not only feel good about it, but I also know that it would be in God’s will.

WHEN Jesus asked His disciples “Who do men say that the Son of man is”; they gave Him answers that they had heard from others. After a time, Jesus then asked; “But who do you say that I am?”   Peter responded with; “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God!” Matthew 16:16    Did you know that is the confession we must make before men when we decide to accept Jesus as our Savior?

THE CHURCH I attend believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God; that He died for our sins; and He rose from the dead on the third day. They also believe that He is coming again, perhaps soon!  I choose to belong to a church that uses God’s Word as the foundation for not only what they believe, but in what they do. That makes me feel that I am doing what Jesus would do! This is the kind of church He asked His Disciples to start.

HERE ARE some more things we believe in. We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and that it is an adequate guide in faith and doctrine. We believe it is our task to take the gospel to every person in the world as Jesus commanded; “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the end of the world.” Matthew 28:19-20    In the Christian community this is called “The Great Commission!”

WE CONDUCT Biblical worship services, including weekly communion. We do not practice speaking in tongues. We have no denominational affiliation of any kind and we do not believe we are the only Christians but Christian only. It is our goal to be a church patterned after those early churches. Christ prayed; “that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you. That they also may be in us, so the world may believe that you have sent me!” We want to lead people to Christ so that they will have the joy and peace that only He can give! His followers were first called Christian and that is what our church is called. Come learn of Him! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/24/13

No comments: