Saturday, July 13, 2013

WORDS, WORDS, WORDS! 7/14/13

I HAVE HEARD it said that words are what we live by. In “My Fair Lady,” Liza sings a song called “Show Me!” “Words, words, words; I’m so sick of words! I get words all day through, first from him, now from you; Is that all you blighters can do?” The whole song is berating the Professor about his methods of teaching her how to speak properly, but what she wants is for him to show her, I guess that was because she didn’t want to work so hard!


I HAVE ALWAYS been aware that I had a learning disability of sorts, but it was never recognized by my teachers and therefore never diagnosed until my 70's, I met a lady, named Grace, who knew immediately what it was and gave me it’s name. Of course I don’t remember what it is now but I asked her to show me how to do something instead of telling me what to do. I never could follow written instructions, nor figure out a thought problem. Written tests were beyond me and therefore to succeed, my life was a struggle. I managed for the most part, but at my age, I have learned to ask for help, I know how to say; I can’t follow that, just show me how to do it and I can do it. Trying to tell me how to do something, is like a foreigner giving me instructions in their language. I just don’t have a clue!

I HAVE HEARD some say; “I can’t be a Christian because I just don’t know how to live like one!” I have heard some say; “I just don’t understand exactly what Jesus is saying, I don’t understand enough of the Word to follow it, let alone to do it!” I have always felt, “if I can do this; if I believe this; if I, who can’t easily understand anything, why can’t others? Even though it has been difficult for me to learn, I have learned to understand by reasoning. Logic comes by reasoning and it has gotten me by. I guess that is why I have always liked a good discussion, although some would call it arguing! Either way, I like the exchange.

INTERESTINGLY enough, God had Moses write down the law so that the Israelites could learn how to be His people. They were to remember it in their minds and to do it with their hands. It was hard for them to do, because it was hard to keep the Law! But when Jesus came to teach us God’s ways, it was by becoming a man. His coming in the flesh spoke much louder than words. Even though we read about His life as a fleshly man, what we read is how He lived in the flesh, and yet remained in His person, as God! We have a picture of His character, His attitudes and the way He showed love to others. God became flesh so that He could show Himself to us; to show us His ways!

JESUS is not only the “way, the truth and the life”, but He also is THE WORD! “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God! He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life, and the Life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” John 1:1-5 Use your imagination and watch the darkness fade as the light enters in. Amazing! I can understand this passage because Jesus showed me!

I UNDERSTAND what it means for Jesus to be the Word. In the Greek, the meaning ‘reason or word’ is a designation for Christ Himself. He is the reason for our being! He is the reason for all of the scriptures, because the old and the new Testaments point to Him! Words are important! Jesus is the Word and He is important! What we know about Jesus is important! The words we speak are important because we can either point the way to Christ by them, or we can lead others astray by them.

“LET THE WORDS of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” Psalms 19:14 I just keep right on talking as though my life depended upon it. Thankfully, I can praise His name and teach about His ways and when you think about it, my life does depend upon that! Keeps me keeping on! Words, Words, Words; Jesus came to show us what His Words mean; have we learned anything yet? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/12/13

No comments: