Saturday, October 12, 2013

SITTING AT THE TABLE! 10/13/13

IF YOU are like me when watching TV, you spend most of your time cruising the menu looking for something that would not compromise your walk with Jesus. A lot of the old favorites come without disgraceful language, innuendo’s and the like. But for the most part, I know all the words and don’t feel compromised! I wanted something new and exciting, something I would not be so familiar with, knowing all the stories, although I like knowing how they end! I tried to change by watching Castle, and you can imagine how far I got with that. I tried it even though I was warned by those who know me, and of course they were proven right!


THIS MORNING, I discovered a thoughtful food show on television called “The Food Nanny!” The first show talked about an organization that helped in rehabilitation. I noticed that a lot of her conversation was about when they ate. I thought that the show was not really about food but about helping others. Hummmmm......perhaps the shows got crossed. I began to watch the next show and discovered her main objective were families, sitting around the dinner table.

ACCORDING to the Nanny, the most important part of any day is at the dinner table. You know what, I agree! I remember sitting around the dinner table! I don’t remember if every member of our family was there. I know that my brother Lonnie didn’t sit at the table and on Sunday’s, when everyone and their families were there, very few sat at the table! In my last two years of highschool, I was the cook, and I always set the table for dinner! Lots of discussions were held around that table! Sometimes we had left overs, but if we stayed too long at the table, nothing was left!

YOU HAVE heard “the family that prays together, stays together!” Perhaps we should add another; “the family that sits at the table together, grows together!” No pun intended! The Scripture only speaks about one time when Jesus sat at the table with all of His Apostles. I know we like to refer to the twelve as His disciples; His close friends and sometimes His followers. But at this particular time He had set the table for the twelve whom He had called into service; and Himself!

REMEMBER the things that took place around the table that night? Jesus washing their feet? Jesus bringing them up to speed regarding what was to happen? Jesus pointing out that one would betray him? Were you aware that Satan asked that Peter be proven a failure? And were you aware that Jesus allowed it to happen and even let Peter know that when all was said and done, he would become an inspiration to all!

AS THE TWELVE sat around the table engrossed in the Passover and themselves, Jesus brought them up short when He gave them the bread to eat and the wine to drink He was giving them a picture of remembrance for them to take out and look at in the future. He wanted them to remember what He was about to do and what He did, not just for them, but for you and me!

“AND HE took bread, and when He had given thanks He broke it and gave it to them saying; “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me. And likewise the cup after supper, saying, this cup which is poured out for you, is the new covenant in my blood.”
Luke 22:19-20    When we sit around His table during our communion service what is it you are remembering? Do you put away the cares of the world and your own desires? Do you think about what Jesus suffered as He went before the courts of that day? Do you consider His body, that was abused beyond recognition, and with nails in His hands and feet so He could be placed upon a wooden, ugly, cross? What do you think about as you sit in your place at the Lord’s table?

WE ARE TO come to this meal, having already examined ourselves. Our daily walk should prepare us and make us ready, to set at His table. To be unworthy at the table, is to grieve the Holy Spirit; repentance is required. “For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgement upon himself.” 1 Corinthians 11:29    Let us judge ourselves, so that we are not condemned along with the world. Only good things come from God! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/13/13

No comments: