Saturday, November 23, 2013

OH TO BE THANKFUL! 11/24/13

EVERY YEAR we go around wishing everyone "Happy Thanksgiving!"  I have said this all my life, when it comes close to the third Thursday in November.  Even when it is so common place and so very familiar, and we love this time of year; saying thanksgiving is a measure of faith, in a faithless world!

I LOVE to remember 'Thanksgiving pasts'!  I come from such a large family, that around thanksgiving it was an exciting time.  We came together under one roof, sitting at tables all lined up, like a banquet table. Hunting for enough chairs so we could all sit around this long L shaped table!  And, oh yes, the small table for all the little kids.  And believe me, there were lots of kids!

WHEN I was a little girl still living in Iowa, I had a little friend who was having turkey for thanksgiving dinner.  I wanted to eat turkey!  But it was too expensive, I think, because we never had turkey in Iowa.  But we did have a large goose!   Years later after we had moved to California and I was in my teens, we had a turkey, a goose and a duck!  I can still see that table and thought WOW; "What a happy thanksgiving we are having!"

BUT IT is good to give thanks to the Lord for all of His blessings!  We take so much for granted!  We want to prosper and to succeed in big things so that we  can declare God's blessings in helping us to achieve.  But God's blessings can come in small measures with big successes, and big measures in small things!   

"IT IS GOOD to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to His name, O Most High; to declare the steadfast love in the morning and your faithfulness by night, to the music of the lute and the harp, to the melody of the lyre.  For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands; yes, I sing for joy!"   Psalms 92:1-4
 
THANKING GOD for big things is easy because we are so proud of some of the big things in our lives. They are easy to see and they are easy to touch!  But the small things are the things that have meant the most to each of us.  The love of my mother and my father, who even through difficulties were still my mother and my father when they passed away!  It seems so small, but it is HUGE to me!

"I WILL PRAISE the name of God with a song; I will magnify Him with thanksgiving.  This will please the Lord more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs!"  Psalms 69:30-31    It sounds simple, that a song would please the Lord!  I haven't been able to sing for many years because of medicines I was taking.  Today I am not taking those medicines and I can sing.  To most that is a small thing but to me that is HUGE!   It is true I can't sing as I did ten years ago, and I probably will never sing like that again; but just being able to sing and hold a note during worship is HUGE!  I praise God and thank Him that I can sing praises to his name!

BABIES are a legacy to those who love the Lord!  It s so sad that others find babies an inconvenience and even from a circumstances of chance, can make a decision to discard them!   These are the small things that God blesses us with and they grow into big things that cause us to cry as they walk all over our feet, and hurt our hearts when they grow up, but they are a blessing that is HUGE!

I AM so thankful for my husband Jim, because he also has had a steadfast love for me that has endured over 50 years.  Jim's walk with the Lord, has made it easy for me to have a steadfast love for him!  I am so thankful for my children, who's lives have been a blessing to all!   None of this is because of what we have done, but all because of what Christ has become to us and that is HUGE!

"MAKE A JOYFUL noise to the Lord, all the lands!  Serve the Lord with gladness!  Come into His presence with singing!  Know that the Lord is God!  It is He that made us, and we are His; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture.  Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise!   Give thanks to Him, bless His name!  For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures for ever, and His faithfulness is to all generation.    Psalms 100:1-5    By Jane Ann Crenshaw   11/22/13






No comments: