Saturday, December 7, 2013

MORE OR LESS! 12/8/13

          EVER SINCE retirement became more than an idea, I have experienced many sleepless nights.   The amazing thing is that I start out tired and even prepare to settle in around 8:00 pm, but by 10:00 I am wide awake!   I have tried mentally reciting all the scriptures that I can bring to mind; even go from my bed to my chair, and finally after eating a few crackers and drinking some water, I try the sleep mode again.  However, I always seen to end up at the computer!

I HAVEN’T figured out why this happens but I do know that I don’t like it!   I don’t like it because I have always loved sleeping!    When I was a young woman, I could sleep until 10:00 am or longer and discovered when I married that Jim also like to sleep late.   Children came along and that stopped, but the idea of sleeping never did.

I SOLVE problems when I am sleeping; I remember things when I am sleeping.  Once, while doing some bank reconciliations for the company I had retired from, and felt like the TV mystery writer Jessica Fletcher, I was able to solved the mystery that had plagued me for weeks; while sleeping!

GOD DESIGNED our bodies for rest and because he created the 24 hour body clock, our bodies automatically go into the sleep mode with very little encouragement.   As we get older the clock doesn't quite work as efficient as it did, but then many things don’t work as well as it use too!   But lack of sleep is not a good thing!    Some can get by with 4 to 6 hours but I want more!

WANTING MORE is a fleshly trait!   Recently I used the term “less is more!”   But for some reason I think more is always a good thing!    I don’t want more house, or more car; I don’t even want more of what the rich and famous have.   “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.”  Matthew 6:33    God provides all our needs and He even includes more than we ever could dream of.  He includes the things that I consider my favorites!

LET”S CONSIDER some favorite things!  I could say ice cream, or chocolate; perhaps even more turkey and dressing; but I mean, really favorite things.     One of my most favorite thing is to walk and talk with Jesus!    When the weather is good, I walk around my house talking (out loud) to Jesus and am refreshed and that is whether or not I get enough sleep.

“AND LET US consider how to stir up one another to love and good works!”  Hebrews 10:24    Isn’t that one of your favorites things to do?    I love the church and the family that God has designed for His children.   Within the Church I can love everyone and know that they love me!    In the world, I can love them, but they have trouble understanding me, let alone loving me!

IN HEBREWS chapter 3, verse 1, it says to consider Jesus!    Jesus is my most favorite subject!   To consider Jesus would take sheets and sheets, because He is all the world to me!  Jesus is my haven of rest!   I may not be able to sleep well tonight, but I have a resting place that is always calling me.  He is my encouragement; my comfort; my peace and joy that is constantly bubbling up in my soul!   Jesus is my refuge in times of trouble and He calms my anxious heart.  

JESUS came so that we may have life and have life in abundance!   What more could we want after we have met Jesus!   He is our all in all!   He is the way, the truth and the life!  No one can come to the Father except through Jesus!   Why would anyone not receive Him and not want to know more and more about Him?    Our old ways have nothing to offer!   With Jesus it is like living in the warmth of the sun; smelling the fresh rain as it hits against the warm sidewalk; watching the snow as it glistens and melts to our touch.

“DO NOT lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also!”   Matthew 6:16-18     Less may be more in some cases, but Jesus comes with a life time guarantee, which is more of His blessed assurance!    By Jane Ann Crenshaw 12/3/13

No comments: