Saturday, December 28, 2013

START ALL OVER AGAIN! 12/29/13

AT THE BEGINNING of a new year we find ourselves making promises that include; lose weight; watch what we eat; change our hair style; get a new look; clean drawers; clean closets; reline the cupboards with new shelf paper; rearrange the furniture; replace the bedroom carpet; clean out the garage by spring; and the new favorite is to “downsize!”   Have you made your new list?   Have your checked it twice?   Are you dressed for the occasion of ‘starting all over again?’

WE HAVE been in the downsizing mode for several months now, so this is not a new idea for the new year. However, it is the hardest of all!   Downsize means you are not rearranging, nor cleaning out.   It means getting rid of things that you cherish; that has a story; that you would rather keep and let someone else get rid of it, after you are gone.  Downsizing means going through stuff and deciding whether to put it in a yard sale, give it away, or call Goodwill!   It has ugly connotations!

IT IS BEST to let someone else downsize for you, because if you are like me, you have to set it a side, and think about it, one more time.   I have a bow foot bed frame that I bought as an antique in the 70's.   Had it refinished and used it.   I loved the bow foot bed!   We move and the head got cracked.   Had it repaired and refinished again, and we used it!    It had another accident and we checked into having it repaired and Jim was given instructions on how to repair it, and meanwhile a box from the rafters fell and broke it some more.   It has been in the garage for at least two years now!   A decision has to be made!   I wanted it repaired!  Then I wanted to repair it and give it away.  Now I just want to give it away and let someone else have it repaired.  I suppose now it is time to just throw it away!  It had history; it had style; all that memory and now; no more bow foot bed!  That’s the way of stuff!

I WONDER if the beginning of every new year; God reissues His promises and waits for His people to respond again with love, joy and peace?   I wonder if He makes a list and if He checks it twice?   I wonder if He then sits back and waits for us to remember our history with Him; our style of clothing when we are obedient to Him, and the memory of when we first became one of his children?  I wonder if He whispers in our ears every night; “my promises are true and they are for you!”

REMEMBER the Bible stories about God downsizing His armies?   Gideon was 32000 strong but God said; I don’t think so!   So Gideon tested them and 22000 went home leaving 10000 strong.  Again God said that was far to many.   So Gideon tested them again, with only 300 passing the test!   God downsizes big because He wants His people to put their trust in Him.  (Judges 6-8)

SAULS ARMY was also downsized when Goliath came on the scene.   God brought a boy named David to fight the giant, while Saul's army and the Philistine's army took sides and watched.   (1 Samuel 17)  God’s promises are not only true, but they are true,  because they never change!   When we downsize we get rid of the things that we think are no longer useful to us.   God downsizes to show that He wants us to be used by Him!   We have to be willing!

WE ARE BEGINNING a through the year Bible Reading and in preparation I am gearing myself up to finish!   I have read through the Bible, and I have studied God’s Word but I have yet to finish a year of reading.    I’ve got time!    I have several different translations!    Others have done this and I know that because of God’s promises, I can do this!

LET”S LOOK as two of God’s promises.  “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever.”  Hebrews 13:8   Because Jesus is always the same, we know that His promises are true!   “The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand for ever.”  Isaiah 40:8   His word is true!    It’s going to be there whenever we are ready to begin reading!

EVERYTHING we have will come to the end of it’s life,  and will need to be thrown out!  It may hurt to clean up our lives yet once again, but God is on our side.    Take a chance and read through God’s Word in 2014 and learn to fly as a bird on a wing!    By Jane Ann Crenshaw   12/28/13

No comments: