Saturday, July 26, 2014

A HUMMINGBIRD LECTURE! 7/27/14

 
OUR NEIGHBORS across the street, had transformed their front yard into  a garden of color and beauty. One afternoon while sitting on the lawn swing on my front porch, my attention was drawn to a hummingbird that was in it’s very own heaven of color and fragrance, in my neighbors garden. As I watched this tiny bird moving quickly from flower to flower, it all of a sudden changed course and flew across the street right into my yard and planted herself upon a rail right in front of me. My deck had a bench that ran around one end of it which had a support back. Underneath was this rail upon which my visitor sat perched, and began to lecture me!

I WAS SO bewildered because I had never seen a hummingbird do anything quite like that. After she ended her tirade, she flew back to the garden. I watched more intently and again she changed directions and flew back to perch on my rail. This time I tried to talk to her! I asked if she had come a long way to find the garden across the street. She replied, but again I felt she was chastising me. She cocked her tiny head from side to side. She made a couple of tiny turns and then starred at me again. I had to laugh, because it all seemed so absurd! Startled, she flew back to the garden! I continued to watch and she returned one more time. This time she just sat there and then she flew away. Needless to say, for several days after that, I looked for her. She may have returned to the garden, but she never perched on my rail again.

WHENEVER I think of this tiny miracle of life, I am reminded of the story/movie; "The Secret Garden." I know many of you have read stories and have had some experience of your own that almost seem unbelievable, and yet they are real. My question was why did she act like that? Why was she so angry at me? Perhaps she felt threatened by my proximity to her garden. Perhaps she had been planning on making a nest and wanted to do that in secret.

I THINK that God sends these little splashes of joy into our lives to remind us who He is. He is the one that created all things. He is the one that brought the world and all that is in it, into existence. God said let there be, and it was! God’s sense of humor is evident with the fish in the seas; the birds in the air; the flowers and trees; the hills and mountains; the rock walls and rim rocks that circle the hills; the winds; the rains; the snow that fall every so lightly; the changes of the seasons which delight our eyes; the smells that permeate our surroundings and cause us to remember. When God was through indulging Himself through His creation, He saw that everything was good!

THEN HE looked around and saw that He wanted more. So He created animals of all species; babies and full grown. Then His greatest masterpiece of all; man! Again, God looked around and saw that everything was good! Somewhere during or after His creation, a situation happened in heaven and God asked Lucifer to leave with no uncertain terms. During Adam and Eve’s sojourn in the beautiful garden of Eden, that God had created for them, a most disturbing incident took place. Lucifer, now called the serpent confronted Eve with a most disparaging question. "Indeed, has God said; "You shall not eat from any tree of the garden?"

"WE MAY eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden; but God said, "You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden; neither shall you touch it, lest you die!"  Genesis 3:2-3 Satan deceived Eve and she ate! Eve gave the fruit to Adam and he ate! Sin destroyed the beautiful world that God created for them! Today we endure, in a world that was once perfect! Adam and Eve were put out of the garden and it has never been the same since. Man was created to live on earth forever, but now through Jesus Christ, we can live forever with Him in heaven. Enjoying God’s creation is God’s gift to the world. God’s plan, from the beginning, is still working! How about you? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/25/14 (10/24/08)

No comments: