Sunday, July 6, 2014

GOD SENT A DOVE! 7/6/14

I REMEMBER going to the movie theater years ago and along with the feature there was a documentary about a tumble weed. As Jim ate his popcorn I became engrossed in the story of a lost tumble weed. I squirmed in my seat, as the wind blew this little weed in and out of traffic and all kinds of possible dangers. I was so affected by what was happening on the screen, that I felt joy and also pain. When I think about that tumble weed, I understand why children become so caught up in animated stories and why adults love the computerized games that they play with. It consumes their interest to the point, that it almost becomes real, a part of them! The cartoon, or the thing in their hands takes on a life of its own, that they feel its joy, and even its pain. We are happy when we win and sad when we lose! Isn’t that the way we are?

HOWEVER, we do live in the real world! Playing with paper dolls as we did years ago, or even playing hand held games, it is all make believe! It is not real! Sometimes when we watch the birds around the bird feeder in our yard, it is almost like watching a make believe, animated video. But the birds are real! Are you aware that they are watching us, while we are watching them. We love to watch them and do whatever we can to entice them into our view.

GOD sent a Raven back in the days of Noah! God sent some birds to feed Elijah, as he sat upon the hill during a 3 year drought! God sent a Dove when Jesus was baptized, and one Saturday morning God sent us a Dove also. So unexpected; so bewildering; so sad!

EARLY one Saturday morning I was sitting in my recliner and Scotty, the cat was laying on the floor beside me. All of a sudden we heard a loud thud inside the fireplace chimney wall. Scotty ran to the fireplace to see better and I was in a panic because I could hear the flapping of wings and knew that a bird had fallen down the chimney. Thankfully it was not the season for a fire, but then we seldom ever had a fire! I hollered for Jim and we pondered our next move. Obviously it was our move, because the bird couldn’t seem to find its way out, even after Jim opened the damper. I called several chimney sweeps, but none could come until Monday noon!  What were we to do? I made the appointment and we waited along with intermittent flapping of wings.  

SUNDAY morning I told our story to our church family and everyone had a solution! Only one became a consideration on Monday morning. The flapping of wings were now growing far and few between and I was so sad and worried for this little bird. Finally, I decided to try the lamp trick. I placed a lamp just inside the fireplace and turned it on. Jim fix a secured path from the fireplace to the sliding glass door. It didn’t take long! As soon as our visitor saw the light he went towards it and fell through the damper! Jim helped the little fella to make its way towards the door and followed him outside.

THE DOVE hopped along the sidewalk while Jim went to turn the hose on to give him a drink of water. As I stood there watching in awe, the water coming on, frightened him and he took off into the air as though he had just stopped for a moment and was now on his way, full strength! I cried! Jesus said; "You can buy two sparrows for a penny; yet not a single one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s consent." Matthew 10:29 The sparrow was the smallest and the least valuable of birds. So cheap, yet God is aware of them!

GOD is also aware of you! "The people who live in darkness will see a great light. On those who live in the dark land of death, the light will shine." Matt 6:16 Those in religious ignorance live in darkness. Light means truth! Our world was in darkness when His Word was not available. When His Word became available; light has shown all around us! Christ is the light of the world! Stop flapping your wings and become real!       By Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/5/14

No comments: