Saturday, December 13, 2014

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES! 12/14/14

DID YOU KNOW that the origin of Santa Claus began in the 4th century with St. Nicholas, Bishop of Nyra; an area in our present day, Turkey? He was a generous man devoted to children. Later he became the patron saint of Russia. In 1822 Clement C. Moore gave us "The night before Christmas" where he gave our present day idea of Santa Claus. Somewhere in the early 1900's the Coke a Cola bottling company gave us an image that we see today.

THE CHRISTMAS TREE had its start in Germany and went to England via Prince Albert. The tree didn’t appear in America until the late 19th century; and still had its flavor of Germany. Although I love the decorated Christmas trees that we have in our homes today, they really have no place in the Christmas story. However, did you know that the Christmas trees are useful in removing dust and pollen from the air. Who would have thought!

I WAS SURPRISED when I looked into the Christmas cards. Cards were originally used to teach writing. At Christmas the kids were encouraged to make cards with prose on them. It caught on and many would send out their own cards. Until around 1843 Sir Henry of England was too busy to write his own cards so that season the composed Christmas cards came into being. Aren’t you glad that we don’t have to do our cards from start to finish. I am afraid I wouldn’t be sending cards! How about You?

THERE ARE many tid bits on the internet that can fill you in on many "did you knows", regarding Christmas, New Years and the like. However, every home has their own traditions and I find some of them just as fascinating. Betty, a friend of mind was stationed with her husband in Germany. Every Christmas they made cookies and hung them on the tree. People would come to visit and when they came thru the door, they would get to take a cookie off the tree. Before the tree was taken down, it was easy to know who had the most visitors during the season. Those who had no cookies left! It must have been sad for those who had lots of cookies still on the tree.

WHEN I was growing up I remember there were no presents under the tree until Christmas morning. I couldn’t peek and count how many were for me, like Jim did. Never could find anything hidden. We weren’t allowed in Mom’s bedroom. But I have heard how she would spend many a night fixing, repairing, painting and sewing getting ready for her family. We didn’t get a lot of presents, but on Christmas morning there would be gifts scattered all around the tree clear, into the middle of the room and beyond. Growing up in a large family had it’s minuses, but still many pluses.

I DON"T REMEMBER ever not knowing, that Christmas was a celebration of the birth of Jesus. I don’t remember thinking much about Santa Claus until I had my own family. I don’t remember having a bad Christmas experience. I was the 10th child out of 14 and our Christmas mornings were full of expectations.

"FOR TO US a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder, and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6     This passage is one of my favorite Christmas announcements.  These names for Jesus are only a few; there are more. "God; the Almighty; the bread of life; good shepherd; Lord of glory; Son of David; King of kings and the Lamb!" He came as a child so he could grow up among His people and show them the father. He had to become like us so that we could become like Him! Only God could come up with a plan like this and for me, it is working! He is my Lord and Savior! He says to the world; "Come unto me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest!"
That’s my Lord and Master!    By Jane Ann Crenshaw 12/13/14

No comments: