Saturday, April 23, 2016

REVERENTIAL FEAR! 4/24/16

I LOVE dictionary searches.   I love an old dictionary because they have the original meanings before the world took charge, and gave us new meanings.   Webster in 1965 says that to be reverent is to show deep respect; expressing a mixture of love and awe.    To be reverential means, to manifest reverence.   I have listened to many discussions regarding fearing the Lord.   Many conclude that it means to respect Him because He is God!    Some say; we should have a fear of God because He is the one that can kill not only the body, but the soul!   I suppose then we should say we have respect for His nature.  Our loving Him has to be shown by how we treat Him!  He asks for our obedience to His ways.   How does any of this have to do with our reverential fear of the Lord?
LET”S LOOK as some ways that we know God.    We believe and know that God is the creator!   He hears our prayers!  He punishes the rebellious and rewards the righteous.   We are taught He is our Father and dwells in heaven.   Jesus, His Son has made it possible, with his death and resurrection, for us to go directly to the Father in prayer!   Upon our acceptance of Christ as our Savior, and thru baptism, we receive the Holy Spirit that comes to live within us.   The Word tell us that He not only hears our prayers but answers them!   The Holy Spirit knows His mind!    He understands His thoughts and His desires for us.   He wants us to walk the walk!
“YET FOR US there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.” 
1 Corinthians 8:6      We do not exist for ourselves but for Him!    “For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things, To Him be glory for ever.  Amen!”   Romans 11:36      God is the source of all we need.     “Yet Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand!”   Isaiah 64:8     He molded us and made us!
WHEN JIM paints a picture; he owns it?   He can keep it or give it away!  Would you say since God is the potter and we are the clay that He owns us?   He can keep us or let us go?    He designed the process through a man and a woman and he designed the hidden place in the women to nurture and grow us until the time we are ready to live outside of her body.     You may want to argue that God knew us before we were even born, and he knew who and what we would even become.   I believe that God designed the church for all those who would believe in Him and follow His Word.   I have chosen to believe, how about you!
WHEN I was a child I knew that if I defied my mother I would be punished.   I knew if I did something, even when she couldn’t possibly see or know, she would find out.   I tried very hard to not bring her any grief, or shame upon my family.  Oh I argued a lot!   Never won but if she said it was white, then I knew it was black.   She was my mother, and during that era, she was law!   She ruled, and saw to it that I was cared for, and  my needs were met.   I didn’t always get what I wanted, but my needs were met.   Why would I want to disappoint her or not give her the respect, along with fear, that was due her while living in her home!  She loved me!
I LOOK upon God in the same way!   I don’t want to grieve Him, nor disappoint him.   I want to be obedient and I strive to walk the path He has set out for me.   I fail many times, but God has promised to always be there for me!   He not only supplies my needs but I even receive some things that I want.    God is with me wherever I go!   He waits for me to repent when I sin and is ready to forgive.  However, His forgiveness is conditional on my forgiving others!
WE NEED to know God the Father, the Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.   We need to have reverential fear because He is our maker, our keeper, and our Savior.   When we remain in Him we are in the safest place, when we do not remain in Him; beware!    I am not afraid of God because I love Him and I know He loves me!  But what if?     Jane Ann Crenshaw   4/22/16

No comments: