Sunday, June 19, 2016

DO YOU RESEMBLE YOUR FATHER? 6/19/16

ALL LIFE has a father!   Although all have a father in order to be conceived, not all are raised by a father.   Many children are adopted and raised by one they call Dad.   Dad is one that cares for and takes care of a child.   Many fathers are Dad’s!    Not all Dad’s and/or fathers are good, and not all, are bad!   Who do you resemble?    Who do you take after?   Who stands behind you and lift’s you up when you fall?    Who continues to love and encourage you even on your bad days?   Who is there when you are discouraged and want to give up?
I LOVE bible stories that talk about children and their parents.   I love considering these stories as I have lived my life.   I love the scriptures that reveal what kind of children we should be, and if we are as we should be, then who we become as an adult.   “A wise son makes a glad father; but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother!”   Proverbs 10:1   I realize I am not a son, but a daughter.   I take that verse seriously anyway!
MY EARTHLY father died relatively young!   During the years I knew him, he was an alcoholic.   He was more of a father to my older siblings than he was to me.   But when he spoke to me, I listened!   He was my father!    My argumentative nature did not argue with him!   It did with my mother!    My father played the piano and I loved that!   He also was a breakfast cook (chef) and I loved that!    He had wisdom that he was not even aware of, and I loved that!  As far as I know, he had only one love, and that was my mother!
DO I RESEMBLE my father?    He was shorter than most fathers and I am short.   He had a ruddy completion with freckles on his arms.   I had red hair, with freckles.   He drank and I do not!    He used some bad language which I don’t.   He couldn’t hold a job but I persevered.   He had blue eyes, my eyes are blue!    He lacked self confidence and so did I,  until I met Jesus!
EVEN THOUGH people see me, recognize me  and call me by my father’s name; and those who know, and remember the name I have taken in marriage; are more apt to recognize the name  I was given when I was adopted by the Father, who lives in heaven.  
WHEN I MET JESUS, I became acquainted with His father and chose to be adopted into the family of God.   It changed everything!   This family is the salt of the earth, and it is the light of the world.”   That is what a believer is like!   Salt and light!  (Ref: Matthew 5:13-16)
 Jesus said that we are blessed to be a part of His family!   People now recognize me by my new name;   Christian!
I HAVE no complaints about my childhood and how I was raised.   I have no complaints when I was gainfully employed, nor about my life as a wife and mother.   When I was old enough to understand what my heavenly Father was offering me, wise enough to allow Him to change me, everything in my life changed!   It made all the difference in Jim’s and my little family!
DO I RESEMBLE my heavenly Father?    Physically?  No!   Coloring?  No!   Eyes?   I don’t know!    I know that I am drawing closer every day to becoming all that God has created me to be!   I know my spirit is being renewed every day!   I know that I am still growing in the Word and as long as I stay in His Word, He is drawing me nearer and nearer to Him!  
“YOU, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”  Matthew 5:48
The word perfect here means complete; mature.    However the comparison is made between God and His children.  So it surely means more than mature.   Perhaps when we can become selfless by loving and being kind to others our perfection is getting more refined.   Not in just the family, but to those who are not deserving.   God so loved the world that He gave His only Son!    That kind of love!   “But Jesus looked at them and said to them; “with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!”  Matthew 29:26     Jane Ann Crenshaw 6/18/2016

No comments: