Sunday, July 3, 2016

BECAUSE I SAID SO! July 3, 2016

THIS WEEKEND America celebrates it’s 240th year of independence.   In 1776 the Declaration of Independents was signed, sealed and delivered to the King of England.   It did not declare, because we said so”, in so many words.   But the theme was clear that the people declared they were free from tyranny.
WHEN MY children were growing up, and questioned my authority, I would respond with “because I said so!”    I didn’t send them a declaration, but I made it clear I was in charge of our home, under the authority of their Father.   Most of the time, that worked!
AS A BIBLE scholar, and teacher, I have become more and more aware of the license many have taken in explaining the meanings of God’s Word.    I have been raised in the Christian Church.   I have visited many other denominations, and question their decisions to reject or permit things that Jesus, himself, declared we should do, or not do, for our Spiritual well being.
SOME SAY that baptism is merely an act of expression and not necessary!   Some have declared acceptance of alternate life styles, instead of helping them to give up the ways of the world.   Many have declared that only belief in Christ is all that is needed to receive His gift of eternal life.    God’s Word has been reduced to “once saved, always saved!”     My heart aches for those who have been led down the slippery slope of life.
“AND JESUS said unto them; “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of world!”   Matthew 28:19-20
THIS SCRIPTURE is the warrant for water baptism.  It is not optional with a believer; it is rather the expressed command of Christ.   To dismiss it, as a merely psychological transaction, is to dishonor His Word!    Baptism is an invitation from Christ Himself.   It is not yours or  mine to decide whether it is necessary or not!   Just do it, because Jesus said so!
GOD”S word, in Leviticus, says that a man should not lay with a man, a woman with a woman, and a man is not to lay with an animal.   “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.”  1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NASB)     Man doesn’t have to be politically correct.  God said it, not man!
“NOT EVERYONE  who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”  Matthew 7:21    Not everyone, implies, that even those who have come to the Lord will not be able to enter if they are not obedient.   No one can please the Lord who does not obey Him and love Him.
WHEN I read Revelation I know it is symbolic for the most part.   A lot of it I can take literally, just as I do when I am reading the Gospels, and the letters.    God doesn’t pull punches.  He is not just giving us Words to fill a book.   His heart desire is for us to become His children.
He wants us to be perfect just as He is perfect.   Because we cannot be perfect on our own, He sent His only Son, Jesus.    He came and lived in the world that was created for us.    He showed us how to become like Him.   He made a way for us to come to the Father.  
THE KEYS to the kingdom is to Love, Honor and Obey the Father!    Jesus’ death on the cross gave us a way.    His resurrection is the declaration, we can be free!   Another key is love!  We love the sinner, after all we are all sinners!  Hear the Word; believe what God’s Word says; Confess before others that you believe Jesus is the Christ; repent of your sins and be baptized!   The first four you do again and again, but baptism you do only once!       Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/2/16

No comments: