Saturday, July 30, 2016

THE BEGINNING OF HOPE! July 31, 2016

IN OUR faithful walk with Jesus we forget just how weak we are.   Remember the last time you sinned?   Can you see just how weak you were?  I know we all experience the weakness of our flesh. We want so badly to stay faithful and strong and yet our weakness seems to win out.    We are sinful people!   God knew that, and that is why His forgiveness was the first promise He gives us upon our acceptance and obedience, thru baptism.   Without His forgiveness we would have no hope!
IN MY study this morning I was reading Matthew and Luke regarding Peter and his denial of Christ.   My heart always aches for him; when he did that!   That was the farthest thing from his mind, even though Jesus warned him it would happen!     “Satan has received permission to test all of you, as a farmer separates the wheat from the chaff.   But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail.   And when you turn back to me, you must strengthen your brothers.”   Luke 22:31-32
IN MY school days my biggest obstacle were tests.   If we were doing verbal questions and answers I did fine!    If we were to do a practical experience like ‘show and tell’, I was okay.   But if I was given a paper and we were to answer the questions; yes or no; thought problems; etc, I always received the lowest grade in the class.   I always felt confident but when the time came, I failed!     Peter was so confident in following Jesus!   So sure of who He was in his new faith!   But when the time came, he didn’t pass the test.  He had faith but was standing on shaky ground!
DO YOU think we are tested by Satan like Peter and the other disciples?   If so, how many times have you been tested and have failed?    I can only speak for myself; many times over!    Man’s hope can only be found in Jesus Christ!   When Jesus came into the lives of the three fishermen, and the other men He called to follow Him, that was the beginning of hope for them.    When I walked into the doors of a little church, at the age of 9, it was the beginning of hope for me!  Where were you when you received the beginning of hope?
WE HOPE for things that we cannot see.   Hope is something we long for!    It is not a person, place or thing.    I hoped I would graduate from high school.    I hoped to be married one day.   I hoped to have children.   I now hope for great grandchildren before I die.   We are simple people with little imagination.    The beginning of hope in Jesus Christ is to know the Savior.   It is to realize that eternity is forever and when you die, your soul needs a home.
“LET US hold on firmly to the hope we profess, because we can trust God to keep His promise.  Let us be concerned with one another, to help one another to show love and to do good.  Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing.  Instead, let us encourage one another.”  Hebrews 11:23-25b   When we went down in the clean, refreshing water of baptism, we professed our faith in Christ as our Savior.   Christians are under a new standard.  We are not to quarrel and fight with each other.   We are to lift each other up in love!   This new life gives up old habits for new ones.  We meet together to worship!   We are called to feel each others pain and joys within the kingdom.   When one hurts we all hurt!   When one celebrates we celebrate with them!
“YOU need to be patient, in order to do the will of God and receive what He promises.  For, as the scripture says; Just a little while longer, and He who is coming, will come; He will not delay.  My righteous people, however, will believe and live; but if any of them turns back, I will not be pleased with him.  We are not people who turn back and are lost.  Instead, we have faith and are saved.”  Hebrews 11: 36-39    Paul is talking to the Jewish Christian here.   But it also applies to each of us.   We live by faith and are saved!    Yes, we are tested when we are tempted.   Christ is our hope; He is our champion!  Jesus saves!   Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/26/16

No comments: