Saturday, September 27, 2008

So what do you want, a medal? 9/27/08

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT, A MEDAL?
Have you ever considered a New Year’s resolution? Many have, even to the point of writing them down, only to realize into the year that the resolutions had been forgotten. Have you ever set goals for yourself? How about losing 20 lbs in 4 months! Perhaps it is to eventually run in the Boston marathon or Hawaii. I have never done that except in my dreams. But I suppose you would have to work up to the marathon by beginning with running one mile. However, the goal is there and you know with perseverance you will achieve it.
I have never wanted to compete for anything let alone a medal. I never really ran for an office unless I knew it was a sure thing. I suppose it comes from some insecurities I have about myself. Nevertheless, many reach for the baton and go onto win the ribbon, the gold or silver medal or even perhaps the corner office. There is nothing wrong with winning but in reality it all comes down to the race, doesn’t it.
What if you lose? What if all your time and money was put on the line and then you lost. It happens, you know! I’ve known some who lost the game, but was so exhilarated playing the game, it didn’t matter that they lost. However, I’ve known some who won and were very poor winners. Again, in reality it all comes down to how the game was played.
When I was a young girl my brother Lloyd, said to me one morning as I got ready for school; "Are you ready for the race"? My reply was; "What race"? He would grin and say; "The human race silly". Are any of us ever quite ready for the human race each morning? I don’t think I ever was or am I ready even now. There are so many bumps and turns that jump into our paths that we are not prepared for. I think I discovered the remedy for that mode of preparation however and it still surprises me how it works. Give Jesus a try!
In the late 50's a cliche, or phrase was being bantered around, especially with TV comedians; "What do you want, a medal"? I think my nephew Lance was around 4 or 5 years old. He and his family were visiting Grandma’s house. Lance came running into the house pretty proud of himself and was anxious to tell his Mom and Dad. My brother Lloyd was there. Lance began to tell his story and boy was he excited. After he quieted down, Uncle Lloyd said; "Well, what do you want a medal"? And Lance sobered right up and said; "No! I just want to go to heaven and see Jesus"! How simple is that? Through the years my husband and I have used that answer many times to each other, especially when the question is asked; "What do you want? Or what should we do"? Sometimes it is; "Lets go get an ice cream" but most of the time it is; "I just want to go to heaven and see Jesus"!
I think Paul says it more eloquently in Philippians 1:21-23 when he says; "To live is Christ and to die is gain". He goes on to say; "Sometimes it is difficult as to what I want to do - stay here a little longer? Yet, I have the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better". Writing resolutions, setting goals, setting out to be an achiever are all good things as long as we know what lies ahead. Keeping your eyes fixed on the Savior and getting all excited about going to that place called heaven to see Jesus, face to face. How good is that!
By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/21/08

No comments: