Sunday, April 4, 2010

HE IS RISEN! 4/4/10

He is risen indeed! "It's the great day!" I have often wondered why we say "Happy Easter?" The word Easter isn't even in the Bible. The early Saxons celebrated the return of Spring by commemorating their goddess called Eastre. The 2nd century Christians tried to convert the tribes of the North to Christianityby joining their celebrations with Christian overtures. A little devious; but slowly won them over. The early name Eastre became Easter. I suppose this is just one story of many on how the word Easter came about.

Even though Christians celebrate every 'first day of the week', this yearly event is celebrated all over the world just like Christmas. The Christian always seems to fall into the worldly ways and try combining everything into one. The world chooses only what they want which usually leaves Christ out. I guess my age causes me to wonder these things! In the Ukraine they greet one another with "He is Risen." The response is "He is risen indeed!" Don't you just love that! I do! I want to remember to say that, but when Easter comes I forget. Instead of calling it Easter why don't we call it "The Great day" like they do in the Ukraine. We try so many times to be like other countries and take on their lowly estates instead of copying the right on kind of living. This year I am making it a point to remember!

One of my favorite memories of Easter is the sunrise service. Living in Southern California; Palo Verde was the prime location to have a sunrise service. A team would go out and survey all the possible locations which were usually a cliff jutting out towards the ocean with a few trees blowing in the wind. Facing the east we could see the beautiful glow of the sun cascading across the sky in bright multicolors of yellow, orange, reds and pinks; while behind us the sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks below and shivering in our jackets!

We sang all of the usualy "Up from the Grave He arose" songs and heard the familiar story of Mary meeting Jesus in the garden; the Apostles running to check our the empty tomb and gathering together in the upper room full of fear and wonder until Jesus walks into their midst without using a door. All very mystical, all very confusing; all according to the scriptures.

Why is it that we can't seem to focus on the truth and make it the major reality in our lives during this season? Why is it that we remember these stories but haven't been able to cause it to change us in a way that we know there is no turning back. Instead we allow eggs, bunnies, candy and new clothes along with big dinners to take center stage. I know we do, because I do!

"I do not pray for these (Apostles ) only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou Father, art in me and I in thee; that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." John 17:20-21 Jesus is in the garden before His betrayal and His thoughts are on us; the church. "The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one." John 17:22 The oneness of the saints is His central theme. It is His will that His people be united with one another in life, which will cause them to be one in Him through the spirit.

The unity of the saints comes about in public worship; in being obedient through the ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper. We are to have fellowship with other believers here on earth whereby we can regenerate believers amongst the Body of Christ. "O righteous Father, the world has not known thee, but I have known thee; and these know that thou hast sent me." John 17:25 How can we allow the world and its gods get between us and our God? How can we replace the joy of His resurrection and not be in His house on this Great Day? Let's begin anew; Let's start today with; "He is Risen!" "He is risen indeed!" Come join the saints as we sing; "Glory to God in the Highest, because He lives!" By Jane Ann Crenshaw 3/26/10

No comments: