Sunday, April 11, 2010

HOW SHOULD WE THEN LIVE? 4/11/10

Francis Schaeffer in 1976 asked this question in a book he wrote with this title. I have never read his book but because he was a biblical scholar I assume the contents of his book is filled with Godly instructions. As I have said before, I have heard that the Bible is the best commentary ever written. No offense to Mr. Schaeffer, or any other commentary; I just want the facts. All commentaries originally come from God's word!

When we understand that God's plan for salvation is a process, we begin to understand no one thing will help us to achieve perfection. The first fruit mentioned in our new spirit is "love!" Let's start at the beginning. "If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen." 1 John 4:20 That is digging deep! A new child born of God must understand; "This commandment we have from him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also." 1 John 4:21

As a child I had friends and I had those I didn't like. I refuse today, to say I hated them but I know as a child that is what I felt. I was standing in line waiting to go into class while in the fifth grade. A girl, I didn't even know, came up and slapped my face. I reached up quickly to cover my face which was stinging from her assault and fought back the tears. I turned my face as she walked away and immediately in my heart I hated her. I have often thought about the incident and am not even sure if I have ever told anyone about it, until now. I was embarrassed and ashamed! Someone didn't like me! What had I done to her to deserve this?

Through the years I have sought God's approval by willingly placing myself on the front lines. I can accept criticism, even though it hurts. I know I fail but I keep trying. I will not achieve perfection until I walk through those heavenly gates. But meanwhile, I want to please Him! "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments and His commandments are not burdensome." 1 John 5:3 Don't get me wrong; I am not striving through works for my salvation; I am a doer of His word, striving to keep His commandments.

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. The life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God; who loved me and delivered Himself up for me." Galatians 2:20 You have heard it said that I am a Christian only, not the only Christian. Well, to say that Christ lives in me, then I must act like Christ is in me!

"Therefore also we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, is to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:9-10 Are you prepared? Are you striving to please Him?

"How should we then live?" That is the question for today. I can't tell you how and I don't want to. God's word is filled with how we should live. When we walk with Jesus all things are new. When we seek His face our path is made straight. When we season our love with salt we become an encourager. God lifts us up when we fall; God comforts us when we hurt; God gives joy in the midst of the storm; God says; "I love you" when we feel unlovable. God is patient as we try because His grace is from the beginning and it keeps coming.

One of my favorite scriptures that keeps my life in tune with God says; "I know how to get along with humble means. I also know how to live in prosperity. In any and every circumstances I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry,both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:12-13 Let's live Godly lives and seek God's pleasure together. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 4/6/10

No comments: