Sunday, May 2, 2010

THE BOOKIE JOINT! 5/2/10

Our Jennifer is an avid reader and has had a Library Card ever since I can remember. Recently she told us about an addition to our local Library and she wanted to us to go and see it. It housed old books from the Library and many that had been donated to the Library. Basically a used book store. I've been looking for a Harper's study Bible with a copyright date for the Old Testament 1952 and the New Testament first edition 1946 and second edition, 1971; which apparently is out of print. I bought a Newly Revised Standard but the commentaries are too liberal for me so I gave it away. I am drawn to early editions where I can trust the translations to be more in line with the King James version.

The Bookie Joint is a room behind the Library with it's entrance in the back with volunteer's who are excited about what they are doing. Last Saturday we went and looked. Couldn't find what I am looking for but as Jennifer says; "you just have to keep going back because they get new ones everyday." Had to chuckle about that; old new ones for a new old book store.

Somewhere in my teens our pastor rented movie length reel to reels from Moody Bible Institute and once a month we had movie night at church. The characters were always played by the same actors so by the time we finished watching the Bible on the screen, we could recognize the characters and their faces as they became synonymous with the characters they were portraying. We must have done this for years because jim remembers seeing some of them.

I wish I knew the man's name that played Paul because there were many mvoies with Paul and I suppose that is one reason why he is one of my favorite biblical characters. Many of his stories were so exciting and even now as I read them I can visually see them because of the work that Moody put into those movies. They were scripturally based but also sound in their interpretations. I wonder if they are still available for rent. We watch old movies on TV why not watch old movies about our God; brought to life based on fact and not fiction.

Many times as I am looking for one scripture in the Bible, when I come across something I had forgotten; so I stop and read it and am always amazed how the old familiar story will bring about a new thought within my minute mind. How many times did God protect Paul from danger and caused him to live another day. How many times did God turn Paul away from danger and yet let him walk through death; causing him to live yet another day. The scars that must have been evident were covered over by his faith in Jesus Christ. I don't show scars but I have memories of how he has changed my life; and how he is still working in me.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away. Behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinithians 5:17 Recently I heard the expression "remove your mask!" Those who really are in Christ through a heart changing experience have allowed themselves to become a new creature. Those who pretend to have a heart changing experience and wear a mask for others to see, have great difficulty understanding Christs new commandment. "That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

Truth brings about true love whether it is between a husband wife; mother daughter, father son; friends and neighbors. Truth is what Christianity is all about. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." John 15:13-14 Can you abide in God's love and not love one another? Can we say we are a Christian and do what the world does? Let there be truth among us for we know that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 4/26/10

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

I LOVE the "Bookie Joint"! One of my favorite places to buy books. I've gotten some real treasures from there. That and Goodwill are great places for old books at wonderfully low prices. I always look forward to yard sale season (just around the corner) when people rid of their books. Junk to them, but perhaps a treasure to us!

And I recall a TV miniseries where Paul was played by Anthony Hopkins, but I've no idea if that's the one you were thinking of. He did a great job, but I forget if I liked the content of the series as a whole.