Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHER'S! 5/9/10

"She carried me under her heart, loved me before I was born. Took God's hand in hers and walked through the valley of shadows that I might live. Bathed me when I was helpless, clothed me when I was naked and fed me when I was hungry. She rocked me to sleep when I was weary and sang to me in the voice of an angel. Held my hand when I learned to walk; suffered with my sorrow and laughed with my joy. She glowed with my triumph and while I knelt at her side, she taught my lips to pray. Through all the days of my youth she gave strength for my weakness, courage for my despair, and hope to fill my hopeless heart. Was loyal when others failed; was true when tried by fire; was my friend when other friends were gone. Prayed for me through all the days when flooded with sunshine or saddened by shadows. Though we lay down our lives for her we can never pay the debt we owe to a mother." Author unknown! I suppose I will never meet "Author unknown" this side of heaven. I have read his or her works for many years and have pondered the person.

96 years ago this weekend the U.S. Congress passed a law on the 8th of May, 1914 designating the second Sunday in May as Mothers Day. The following day, May 9th, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation declaring the first National Mothers Day as a day to show the flag to honor Mothers who sons had died in the war. I never knew that the flag was raised to honor mothers on Mothers day. I believe that is a fact that is good to know!

My Mother was a note taker. I found many of her notes in an old file cabinet many months after she had passed away. I want to share a couple of her notes on mothers. The first one is entitled; "Blessed is Mother!" "Blessed is she whose daily tasks are a labor of love, for she translates duty into privilege. Blessed is she who mends socks and toys and broken hearts, for her understanding is a balm to humanity. Blessed is she who serves laughter and smiles at every meal; for she shall be blessed with goodness. Blessed is she who preserves the sanctity of the Christian home for hers is a sacred trust that crowns her with dignity."

My Mother was one for wanting for her children but could only give what she had. The second note is entitled; "Mothers Prayer!" "Dear Father; as I light this candle may I be faithful to the tasks you have given me to do as a Mother. I pray for a loving heart when I would be unkind; patience when things go wrong; understanding when my children come to me for guidance; wisdom in the decisions I must make as a Mother. I do not ask for a starry crown, just may I be a Christ like Mother."

I have loved being a mother. I loved watching my children grow and grow and grow. Today my son has children of his own and I know through thick and thin he enjoys being a father as he has watched his three sons grow and grow and grow. My daughter lives with me still and has continued to amaze me with her ability to live life to the fullest. I was asked once; "How do you feel about your two children?" This was a preacher friend asking me this question and I told him; "I would have to think about that."

When you love your children it is hard to separate your love and how you feel because God supplies you with all the love you need for each one. I gave his question a lot of thought and finally concluded that Danny is my joy! He makes me laugh and pleases me with his intelligence, his creativity and talents. Jennifer is my heart! She had many obstacles to overcome which gave way to fear, frustrations and tears; unceasing prayer gave way to victory. She is strong and courageous, loving and kind. One is my joy and one is my heart; how can I live without either one? They have taught me how to have the fruit of the spirit in me. "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23
By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/4/10

No comments: