Saturday, July 24, 2010

SUMMER BREEZE! 7/24/10

TODAY would have been my brother Layton's 74th birthday. He was quite a character! He was full of spontaneous moments. He would drive by and say; "you want to go to the pawn shop; the junk store; get an ice cream; a drive." If you went along, you soon knew that you had to plan to be gone for several hours because none of these places would be close by. He loved eating at out of the way places and most times you questioned; "how did he ever find this place?"

I REMEMBER one summer there was a group of traveling Christian young people that were scheduled to put on a play in a park in San Bernardino. "We could leave right after work and be there before it started;" he said! I never could say no to Layton and was always pleased if I was included in his plans. Of course he wanted to take my car and so we went.

LAYTON was not one to chatter as I was but we would talk. We were about an hour from our destination and on part of the freeway that wasn't really a freeway as we know them today, when a young hitchhiker caught Layton's eye and he pulled over before I realized what he was doing. The young man got in the back seat! I looked at Layton and he smiles his crooked smile and said; "It's okay!" In my heart I wondered by who's standards, this was okay, it wasn't mine!

LAYTON TALKED with the young man and for once in my life I kept quiet! The early 60's were nothing like today but they were also nothing like the 50's. When we reached our destination, we parked the car on the street and stepped out into a soft gentle summer breeze which filled the air. I stumbled in my heel's across the green grass to many rows of chairs facing a 12 x 12 stage. Lots of activity taking place as I sat down. Layton left me so he could circulate through the small crowd.

THE PLAY was a picture of the end times with futuristic ideas. I don't remember much about it. Afterwards we visited and then got back in the car for the long, long drive home. With Layton I always felt safe but never really knew what our time together was going to be like.

WHEN HE DIED at the age of 32 I felt my world had ended. When he no longer was stopping by for lunch or to watch a ball game I felt lonely. Through the years these feelings have left me but the longing never goes away. My husband and children and my other siblings fill the gaps and crevices but the desire to head out to the unknown with Layton is always there. Strange isn't it how some people impact your life in such a way that you never seem to let go. I have lost several more of my siblings since that time, with Lynn leaving just recently. Makes me anxious for heaven and to see them again! Do you ever feel anxious for heaven?

"BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN SPIRIT, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3 What does it mean to be poor in spirit? I think it means to be humble; not pretentious or proud. Are you poor in spirit? In Matthew chapter 13 Jesus talks about what heaven is like. He is using parables which are earthly stories with a heavenly meaning; spiritual truths that unfold in everyday events.

JESUS LIKENS HEAVEN to a man who sowed good seed in his field; the planting of a grain of mustard seed; leaven used for bread; a treasure hidden in a field; goodly pearls; a net cast into the sea to gather every kind of fish; and a master of a household that is filled with new and old treasures of great worth. All of these things are worth much in their day and time, but heaven is more than these; heaven is priceless.

JESUS SAYS TO THE RICH YOUNG RULER; "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven! Matthew 19:21 I know that heaven is beyond my imagination. "For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me." John 6:38 Jesus was sent by God and together they live in heaven! Oh how I want to go there; don't you? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 7/21/10

No comments: