Sunday, November 14, 2010

GROWING OLD JUST HAPPENS! 11/13/10

LATELY, I have been tired. My energy level has subsided. I still get my bed made in the morning and I pick up here and there and just a week ago, I did get my floors dusted, swept, mopped and vacuumed. It was about time! However, I am decidely perplexed, because I have never had much energy until I had my heart event, two and half years ago. I was thoroughly enjoying my new energy level. Now, I feel like my old self again; forcing myself to do the things I have to do, besides the things I really want to do. Yes, I said forcing myself!

I WATCHED a video recently where this old woman was to give the invocation before a large dinner meeting of a large organization. She says the prayer and then; "Lord, since I have the microphone, I have a few more things to say." She begins with answering the two questions everyone wants to know, but are always afraid to ask! "I am 72!" She says! After the laughter dies down she continues with; "and I weight 142 lbs!" Again she waits until the laughter subsides and then says something very profoud; at least to me, it was profound. "No one practices to be old, it just happens; all of a sudden, you are old!"

YOU KNOW, that is just the way it happened to me. One day I woke up and I was old! Even my grandson's can testify that one day they woke up and I was old. Their grandpa was old and even their Mom and Dad were old but then all children see their parents as old. No practice needed; no instructions given, except for books like; "Growing Old Isn't for Wimps!" Or maybe; "Help Lord! I'm Having a Senior Moment" by Karen O'Connor.

THOSE OF YOU who are about my age and already in your winter years; give or take a few, know what I am talking about. Those of you who are younger than springtime and maybe some of you who are entering your autumn years, will find this out soon enough.

ONE OF THE THINGS I find comforting as I grow older is that the scriptures say, that white hair brings wisdom. Perhaps it means that white hair should come with wisdom. I think I have been wise in many things but I also must admit that wisdom comes for a moment and then begins to wane. When the waning comes, it is at a different time for everyone. What is it to wane? "To grow less, decline in power or importance, to draw to a close." Webster has more to say, but that is enough for us to get the picture.

"BE PATIENT, therefore, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient over it until it receives the early and the late rain. You also be patient. Establish your heart, for the coming of the Lord is at hand." James 5:7-8 All my life I have been told to be patient! All my life I have been encouraged to take heart and wait. All my life; sounds onimous!

WITH AGE comes the best in cheese, wines and other commodities. With age "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." Proverbs 9:10 "For wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with them." Proverbs 8:11 "For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 1:6

WE CAN PONDER old age all we want; but what it comes down to is how you live your life. Are you seeking God's face daily? Are you in His word regularly? Have you been doing your part to further the kingdom? If so, these are the things that count! "Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing power; are you washed in the blood of the Lamb. Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour; are you washed in the blood of the Lamb." Great old song; hu! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/13/10

2 comments:

elandreth said...

We are having Connie's and Curt's family over for lunch today. When I do this, way too seldom, I want to fix the bulk of the food, to give them a break from cooking. But yesterday as I went on and on cooking, I was getting more and more tired. The thought occurred to me that I may have to slow down. Not a good feeling. So little time and so much I want to do. I used to be a night person and could get lots done in an evening. Now I am too tired to start a big project in the evening. I just mess with email and facebook and head to bed. I do continue to get up early, 6 am, and get to work on my computer. Now I am a morning person. When my kids were little I was a night person and oh how I dreaded getting up in the morning, doing breakfast and getting them off to school. I was so tired from staying up late working the night before.

But now the food is all prepared and I can just relax and enjoy the day. But I will be very tired this evening I am sure and will head to bed even earlier.

It feels like we just get going good in life and it is time to slow down--the body dictates. Wish I could make my mind quit thinking of more and more things to do. It drives me to commit to more than my body is able to carry out.

I enjoy your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Prov 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.

Isa 46:4
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

And now you got me thinking about CHEESE! Missing our time last fall when Cheri and I toured the Cabot Cheese factory. YUM! I asked the tour guide how old cheese can be and still be edible. She said some at the factory were competing as to how long they can let their own personal cheese supplies age before they unwrapped and started eating it. Hmm. Something about that doesn't sound too appetizing.