Friday, November 5, 2010

SUNSHINE IN MY SOUL! 11/5/10

EVER SINCE I can remember, singing in church was one of my favorite things to do. This past week I was playing some of the songs out of the church hymnal and I asked Jim to give me a song to play. I just wanted a spontaneous request! He requested "There is Sunshine in my Soul!"

WE ALL love sun-shiny days; we like walking in the sun-shine. Nothing is better than picnicking when the sun is just over head. When it is raining and the sun is shining you can see it glistening through the rain drops. The sun-shine is what brings the rainbow after a rain shower. Even so, on bad days, we could go on and on about how the sun makes us feel. Let's take a moment and think of a time or something that filled our souls with sun-shine!

THE FIRST THING that comes to my mind is Christmas but then mostly everyone I know feels good around Christmas; although we know of many who don't feel the thrill of Christmas. My children have filled my life with sun-shine and especially my grand children. Oh what joy fills my mere existence when I think about all my children. My greatest moments are when I am with Jim. Remember the song; "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine; you make me happy, when skies are gray?"

THIS WEEKEND is a sun-shiny spot in my season of memory making. In 1985, those who could, on my side of the family, met at Box R Ranch to celebrate Thanksgiving for the first time. We continued every year until 2002. We did it again at Fish Lake in 2008 and then back at Box R last year and again, this weekend. It is a much smaller group but I can't help feel some excitement about getting together and remembering when. It is possible this will be the last time, at least for Box R! But while there is life, there is never a last time for remembering!

GOD BRINGS sun-shine into our lives through many avenues. Our parents; our brothers and sisters; our spouses and children and the church. Then there is happenings and places and things! "O there's sun-shine, blessed sun-shine, when the peaceful, happy moments roll; when Jesus shows His smiling face; there is sun-shine in my soul!" I've heard it said; "There is always room for dessert!" Well, with Christ in your life, there is always room for sun-shine and dessert!

ONE OF the things about Box R and Thanksgiving is the food. Good food! Well thought about, and well prepared food! I grew up poor but we always had a Thanksgiving spread on our table. In the beginning I remember a goose and don't remember much else but as the years rolled by, I remember mashed potatoes; scalloped corn; turkey, dressing and giblet gravy; not to mention the salads galore and pies. Pumpkin, apple and mincemeat; oh my! Yes, even the poor can have a feast on Thanksgiving because through the grace of God, others help by giving. Giving money; canned goods; baking supplies, even turkey's.

IT IS TRUE that many in the world go hungry; but the feasting on food is not what is going to give them the sun-shine they need. Their hunger and thirst is for that which will fill their empty souls not their empty stomachs. "But how are men to call upon Him, in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him, of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear, without a preacher? And how can men preach, unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!" Romans 10:14-15

ALONG WITH the groceries we need to preach the Gospel! "But they have not all heeded the gospel; for Isaiah says; "Lord, who has believed, what he has heard from us?" Romans 10:16 Many turn away from the Good News and seek their own ways. But Paul continues with; "So faith comes from what is heard and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ." Romans 10:17 The preacher must keep preaching and the Son, will shine! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/5/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

And for those who can't see the Sonshine clearly "I'll be a sunbeam for Jesus, to shine for Him each day. In every way try to please him, at home, at school, at play."