Sunday, March 20, 2011

LONG MAY YOUR FLAG WAVE! 3/20/11

LIVING as many years as I have, I have seen flags waving from long, tall poles in front of public buildings; businesses; and smaller poles at private homes. It is not my practice to complain about peoples homes or how they keep their lawns. Usually my eyes are drawn to the flag, when there is one waving in the breeze. I love the sight of the American flag. I love the thoughts that it conjures up in my minds eye. I love the way it makes me feel! Patriotism is not dead!

WHEN I go into a public building I always check to see if the American flag is in place; even in the church! There, the American flag should be at my left and the Christian flag to my right as I face the platform. Did you know that? There are many rules regarding the American flag and personally I feel we should adhere to those rules regarding “Old Glory”; but sadly today, many find it fashionable to trample on it; to burn it in effigy, and even to fly it when it is totally destroyed by the elements. When the flag is ready to be destroyed, it should be by fire and reverently. I volunteered to do that for Goodwill. I took them home to be burned in our burning barrel. I burned one flag and cried all the way through it. I took the others back and said they would have to get someone else to do this.

DID YOU know that Betsy Ross, a seamstress, was asked to make the first flag because she impressed George Washington and his committee of three, with her ability of cutting out a 5 pointed star in a single snip? A little woman, who lived in a little house would be remembered down through the ages, for creating one of the nation’s most widely recognized symbols.

I REMEMBER attending a Memorial service at the White City Domiciliary where my brother Lynn was the guest speaker. As part of the service, many tattered and torn, bullet ridden flags were on display. They were part of an American history traveling display. Many tears were shed that day as we viewed these precious memento’s of our sacred past. I would have been proud to fly one of those totally ragged flags from my flag pole. The sacrifice was evident and no sign of forgetfulness or desecration that we see from flag poles today.

DID YOU know that in the fourth stanza of our National Anthem it says “And this be our motto; In God is our Trust.” The United States adopted “In God we Trust” as it’s national motto in 1956. Today, there are those who wish to abolished that along with the flag. The flag that was still standing, was about 30' x 42 3/4' and is presently hanging in the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. My sister Joyce and I stood before it and sang the Stars Spangle Banner and cried.

WE USE the term; patriotic, to show our allegiance to our Country and it’s rule. In Christianity we hear the term; fanatic which indicates one who is overzealous for a cause or belief. Sort of like being patriotic isn’t it? I remember as a girl being told I was a fanatic because I wanted to be at church, in the youth group and I even joined a club at school called Campus Fellowship. It use to make me a little embarrassed! Today, I agree I am a fanatic for Christ; aren’t you? “For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed.” Mark 8:38a

I HAVE a cross to the right of my front door. It sets it the corner so it can be seen from the street. You could call that, my flag for my fanaticism, sort of like patriotism when waving my American flag. “For I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith.” Romans 1:16a Yes, I know whom I believe and I am persuaded that He will keep me until He returns. Are you a Patriot? Are you a fanatic? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 3/19/11

No comments: