Sunday, March 27, 2011

WHATEVER! 3/27/11

DO YOU live in a “whatever” world? I saw this line in a recent Lookout,published by Standard Publishing Company. I can’t remember when I began to hear “whatever” but I remember how angry I would feel when it was said to me. It was mostly young people who would respond with “whatever” when they were asked to do something; to go somewhere; and even when they were called to the dinner table. Yes, I know; many don’t use the dinner table anymore.

EVEN MY children used this term and usually it was said out of their own frustrations not necessarily as a derogatory comment toward me. However, it made me angry all the same! For the most part you wouldn’t consider the words “whatever” as a slang but I think it became a slang word. According to Webster it means; “Anything at all which, as whatever you may require.” Doesn’t sound anger inducing, but the way it is said does.

IF YOU take the word ‘what’, Webster says; that it is a word of wonder. For instance; “what do you think?; what do you want?; do what I say; it is only what was to be expected;” etc, etc, etc! Now the word ever is a little puzzling. Webster says; “At any time; at all times; ever so, very, very much.”

WHEN I HEAR someone say “whatever” as a response, I feel it comes across as a negative response. They are saying; “I don’t want to do that but I don’t have a choice in the matter!” “Whatever,” happened to; “whatever you say; Let’s do it; Okay!” With a little lilt in your voice the person who is asking feels great and the person responding obviously, feels great also. Together a great time is just ahead, I am sure!

“WHATEVER you do, in word or deed; do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17 Now this is a positive way to use that word, isn’t it? Here is another one; “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might!” Ecclesiastes 9:10 One of my most favorite is; “Whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31 Now if I could only pay closer attention to my eating!

“I CAN do anything I want to if Christ has not said no, but some of these things aren’t good for me. Even if I am allowed to do them, I’ll refuse to, if I think they might get such a grip on me that I can’t easily stop when I want to. For instance, take the matter of eating. God has given us an appetite for food and stomachs to digest it. But that doesn’t mean we should eat more than we need. Don’t think of eating as important, because some day God will do away with both stomachs and food.” (The Living Bible) 1 Corinthians 6:12-13

“YOU KNOW the old saying, “First you eat to live, and then you live to eat”? Well, it may be true that the body is only a temporary thing, but that’s no excuse for stuffing your body with food, or indulging it with sex. Since the Master honors you with a body, honor him with your body!” (The Message) 1 Corinthians 6:13

LIVING IN a “whatever” world doesn’t give us a licence to do whatever we want or to say whatever we want. When we live as the world does we have said “whatever” to Christ instead of saying “yes” to Him. “ We labor to please God because we will be judged by what we do; good or bad! 2 Corinthians 5:9-10 We know that works cannot save us but this scripture says we are to work to please God and He will look at all we have done. I am glad that I find it a pleasure to labor for the Lord; no matter the task! Pay attention to how you respond to others and consider the effect it has on your Christian walk. Take care to bring honor to Him who found you worthy! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 3/26/11

No comments: