Sunday, March 13, 2011

SPRING TRAINING! 3/13/11

WHEN I WAS A GIRL, I remember hearing; “In the spring, a young man’s fancy turns to love!” Now I don’t know if that is true or not! But every year around this time, about 30 ball teams in the USA find themselves in “spring training!” Lots of trading is going on and I hear tell that Manny is no longer with the LA Dodgers but perhaps in Texas. When you got it, you got it, but when you are passed around, you don’t got it as much anymore.

I HAVE TO ADMIT when Manny was hitting good I found that exciting, but then I would notice how slow he was in left field and I wondered why he was worth so much. Years ago the salaries were not as great and when the players retired they either invested and did well or spent most of it and had trouble keeping up with the Jones. One thing most of the old timers had was pizzaz. Most of them were decent kind of guys and most kids that found a ball player they could idolize, found they had many to choose from. Today, not so much!

IT USE TO BE called America’s favorite past time. It went with fried chicken, corn on the cob and Mom’s apple pie. My brother’s loved playing base ball and so did my husband; who would probably give his old baseball mitt, if he could play third base just one more time. However, that would have to be over my dead body! My three grandson’s were a lot of fun to watch but my son Danny, was never interested. He could run; he could throw but he never was too keen on sports or being involved in any competitive activity.

COME TO THINK OF IT, I never like being in competition either. I wouldn’t run for office unless I thought it was a sure thing or I really didn’t care if I won or not. I tried out for a talent show once and didn’t make it so never would try again. Why waste my time or anybody else’. One thing I am sure of, if you want to be a part of the team you must keep up your skills with practice, knowledge and taking care of your body through strength training.

“DO YOU NOT KNOW that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; but I pummel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

PRACTICE MAY NOT make perfect but it does give you a fighting chance. “Look to yourselves, that you may not lose what you have worked for, but may win a full reward.” 2 John 8 Paul says we must exercise our self control and John says we must not lose what we have worked for. Do you realize that it is your faith in Jesus Christ that is working through you in love. ”You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth?” Galatians 5:7

I AM NOT athletically inclined but I am physically, mentally, and spiritually involved in what Paul calls “the good fight!” He says; “I have won the race!” I am competing against Satan while I am playing on God’s team. It is a moment by moment series of thought provoking, sharpening tools, with play by play blows. What is my goal? It is bringing the sinner out of the darkness of the world, into the light of God’s kingdom.

“BUT I DO NOT count my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may accomplish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the grace of God.” Acts 20:24 It is important for professional ball players to have spring training. It is even more critical for the Christian to begin their daily battle for Christ by putting on their full armor and remember, to never leave home without it. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 3/12/11

No comments: