Sunday, August 14, 2011

GOT NO DIAMONDS; GOT NO PEARLS? 8/14/11

HOW MANY times have we decided we are among the have nots? How many times do we wish upon a star and know that it probably will never come true? How many times do we place all our oranges in one basket and then find out, they were just apples all the time? Maybe Mickey Mouse can make dreams come true, but mostly dreams are just dreams. They are wishful thinking! These are little Scenario’s we conjure up to prepare us, just in case!

I USE to be a dreamer. If the school class room had windows, you could find me looking out those windows; day dreaming. What did I day dream about? I can’t remember! A lot of good it did me. If I had paid more attention in the class room, I could have become someone with letters after my name. I could have become someone important! Maybe because I could have, but didn’t, means I am now among the have nots? I don’t think so!

WE HAVE a tendency to classify possessions such as a big house, new cars, beautiful furnishings, fine clothes and the like as being among the rich and famous. We have a tendency when carrying a big wad of dough in our pockets, that it sets us apart from the lower class and sometimes, even the middle class. I don’t think so!

DURING THIS period of economical crunch, many of us have found ourselves, on occasion, living from paycheck to paycheck. We are still doing the things we want to do, but we are just a little more circumspect on what we spend our money on. Now you may think this is ridiculous, but sometimes you have to be frugal and rely on God. I don’t know how many times I would suggest (I hate to think I am telling Him what to do); “Lord, this is all we can spend right now, please let this come out all right!” And you know what? It does!

JIM AND I just got back from the grocery store. We planned to spend only what he had in his pocket. Jennifer is cooking this week so we were picking up a few things just for her. The debit card is great, but sometimes you need to see if you can handle things on your own, just like in the olden days. Add up the prices as you go! Well, we did not take the can cream or the small can of tomato sauce; and even though another customer offered to pay the extra 15 cents, we laughed and said; “No thank you, we’ve got it covered!” Usually, God brings us just under the wire, but I prayed after we did the shopping. Do you suppose?

“ONE MAN pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.” Proverbs 13:7 This is an interesting scripture, isn’t it? Have you ever met someone who claims riches and yet goes deeper into debt, day by day? Have you ever met someone who was quite wealthy but lived in a few small rooms behind a store? Owning the biggest and newest car on the block does not mean you are wealthy, it just says you want to live above mediocrity.

ONE WHO is affluent usually lives comfortably. One who is poor usually lives with less than most. But one can live in peace through Jesus Christ who gives abundantly in all things. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10 Who is the thief, in this story? The thief is the one, or the one thing that takes your eyes and mind off of the Savior. The thief steals your heart and makes you live life seeking after worldly things and wanting more.

I LIKE nice things! We even had some curb appeal done on our house. We shop at Penney’s and at Goodwill; and our lives are good! I have learned to give away things that I love because I don’t love them as much as I use to. Got no diamonds; got no pearls? We have the sun in the morning and the moon at night; what more do we need! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 8/8/11




















.







No comments: