Saturday, June 23, 2012

6/24/12         DOING SILLY THINGS!    

I REMEMBER an email that circulated some years ago and a poem that began with; “When I am old, I will wear purple!” At 50 that was pretty cute! At 60 I began to believe I could wear purple! At 70 I am beginning to think that standing on a corner with a stick is pretty silly. Yesterday, Jim was sitting at the computer and I stopped at the door and asked if he would get the mail from the mail box. He stopped quickly what he was doing and stumbled as he got up and made his way to where I was standing. He laughed and leaned against the door frame and said; I’m old! We laughed not because he is old, but because sometimes we actually feel old!

EXCEPT for a few aches and pains; the legs don’t quite move as quick as they use to and our arms are not as strong, but we still feel young inside. We have to look in the mirror to be reminded by the wrinkles, sagging skin, thin hair, or no hair, to realize our age. Sometimes after getting down on the floor, we are reminded that things don’t work like they to use to, when we try to get up again.

DAN & FAYE spent their 25th anniversary by doing the things they like to do. She called it “doing the silly things we like to do!” I was reminded of the silly things that Jim and I use to like to do. Now we like to watch babies and toddlers do their silly antics and we remember when our children and grandchildren did those things. We smile and laugh and want it to continue. But Moms and Dads aren’t at the place where they want to enjoy that. They make them stop and behave so they will grow up to be presentable in public. But the presentation that some make, is suspect, when they grow up!

TEENAGERS are not fun to watch! I think for the most part it is because their closets have a mixer just inside the door, and they turn it on when they are picking out what they want to wear. I think they carry tools in their pockets so they can stick things on their noses, eye brows and lips which sets them apart from attractiveness and to the brink of ugliness. I am not complaining; it is their choice. But I like to look at beauty, sweetness, and happiness rather than puzzlement. I find myself searching for a winner as we watch the parade in the Malls. Of course Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

TEENAGERS who truly care about themselves are set a part. For the of life me, I don’t know why, all teenagers don’t want to look good! Or have self esteem, and just be themselves. Life is so short and is to be enjoyed. Making a statement all the time has to get old! I grew up with hand me downs and I love shopping at the thrift stores so looking good, doesn’t mean having financial means.

“AS IN water, face reflects the face; so the mind of man reflects the man!” Proverbs 27:19 It has been said that we are what we eat, but I wonder if it really should say; “We are what we think!” What is in the mind of our young people that they want to regress into the primitive ways of man? I remember being silly in my youth but I don’t remember trying to attract negative attention. I guess that would have embarrassed me! Sometimes what I see today, sort of embarrasses me!

I KEEP reminding myself that God looks upon the heart while man looks upon the outward appearance. But I read in Isaiah 65 “I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me; I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me. I said, “Here am I, here am I,” to a nation that did not call on my name. I spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, following their own devices.” My heart aches for these young people who have set their minds and attention on things that are worthless. “Even a child makes himself known by his acts, whether what he does is pure and right.” Proverbs 20:9

GOD’s DESIRE is for people to “walk in the way of good, and keep to the paths of the righteous. For the upright will inhabit the land, and those of integrity will remain in it!” Proverbs 2:20  Maybe Jim and I have lost some of our silly ways and maybe our sense of humor is not what it used to be. We just wish that the young people we see today could enjoy life as we have and still do. In Christ all things are possible! Keep faithful with your light shining, and smile! By Jane Ann   Crenshaw 6/22/12

No comments: