Saturday, June 16, 2012

HONOR THY BROTHERS! 6/17/12

BECAUSE today is Father’s Day I would like to pay honor to my Father. I honor him because he gave me life! I love him because he was my father! I remember him because he was my Father! I was 15 when he died and I was saddened years later, when I realized how much I didn’t know about him. He told me he was a “Breakfast Cook” but I always thought of him as a chef. He was an alcoholic and never held a job for long. I discovered that he spent time with my older siblings and even taught my older brothers how to swim. One of the things that I am most grateful for, is that all fourteen of us, came from one set of parents. BECAUSE today is Father’s Day I would like to pay honor to two of my brothers who raised me and my four younger siblings, and deserve to be honored as Fathers. Lloyd was 16 when he became disabled to the point that he no longer attended school, and so he took care of the younger kids. I was about 3! He is the one that would say to me each morning; “Morning Glory!” He fixed us lunch and I think prepared dinner. He prepared potatoes like the food network, before there was a food network. He had food sense and it showed in every dish he made. He was well read and could give you an answer to most subjects. He would learn a new word everyday and I for one, will never forget; “No thank you, I have had a sufficiency; anything more would be a superfluous delicacy!” LONNIE was a little younger than Lloyd and was able bodied. Lonnie was quieter than some of my brothers, but he was built with an inner core that said; “I am responsible for this family now that Daddy is gone!” He worked hard and gave much of his wages to support the family. The other older siblings gave also, including me when I was old enough. But it was Lonnie that was Mom’s “go to” person for all of the extras. He was firm with his instructions. I bought a car and he made me change the tire twice and then said; “Don’t call me to come and fix a flat nor to put gas in the car. Find yourself a mechanic and he will soon know your car!” Lonnie also told me to never run out the door when your boyfriends honk their horns; he must come to the door! I never had boyfriends who drove cars! Also I was never to sit in a car with a boy unless I was engaged to him! WHEN I was getting married, I wanted Lonnie to give me away! However, I knew that I had to ask Lloyd. He was older than Lonnie and he had taken care of me when I was very little. It was a hard choice but I talked with Lonnie about it and he agreed that Lloyd was to be asked. Lonnie didn’t attend weddings or most holiday functions or even most celebrations. He agreed to pick up my attendants and bring them to the church. He stayed for my wedding and then left before the reception. Both of these men were single all of their lives and we were their children. It hurt me when they passed away, when I was in my 50's and 60's. I hold them up as ones who trained me! SOME would say that a single man lives for himself. Some might say that a single man sows as many oats as he can for he lives to eat, drink and to be merry. These two men took the responsibilities that were handed to them and we were very blessed. “A stupid son is a grief to a father; and the father of a fool has no joy.” Proverbs 17:21 My father knew what Lloyd had given us kids, but if my father could have known how Lonnie stepped up to the plate, I wonder how that would have made him feel. I know how it made me feel! >“LISTEN to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom for the future.” Proverbs 19:20 We kids, learned a lot from the love of these two men. So different from each other and yet both of them were family oriented. “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6 I often wonder if my brothers knew just how much they have influenced us kids. I often think about the obvious ways that Lloyd showed us his love and the quietness of Lonnie who would knock on my door and tell me, every morning; “It is your turn in the bathroom!” Today I give them honor, and say “thank you!” By JA Crenshaw 6/15/12

No comments: