Saturday, January 4, 2014

WHAT DO YOU THINK? 1/5/14

RECENTLY, I came across another note of my Mother’s.    Since she passed, I have found many of her notes!  Notes from sermons she had heard; notes from books and magazines and notes of thoughts she wanted to remember.   I love reading her notes.   I love reading what was apparently important to her at the time and I just love looking at her penmanship!   She had beautiful penmanship; very distinctive and anyone in the family would recognize it as hers!

AS A TEEN and into my early twenties when I was asked to go somewhere or to do something with friends, I would ask my mother if I should or could.   Early on she would pause and look me in the eye and say; “What do you think?”    How was I to know what she thought, but when she would say, what do you think; I felt that meant NO!   And so I didn’t go or do!    My Mother and I didn’t always see eye to eye. When she said something was white, I automatically responded with black!    Very seldom did I let myself agree with her.   However, I never wanted her to be disappointed in me, so I was more obedient in my actions than with my mouth!

MY MOTHER was a reader!   Many times when I got up in the night, I would find her in the living room reading.   She loved to read!   I don’t know what kind of books she read but then she had a  huge library of books to choose from; hard backs and paper backs!   I remember as she walked home from her job, she would carry a sack of groceries in her left arm and in her right hand she would have a small paper back book.  How she kept her foot sure, as she walked, is beyond me!

THE LAST note Jennifer, my daughter found, was about communion!   She writes; “We
re-affirm our acceptance of Christ into our lives each time we take communion.  That in it’s self, makes the preparation of communion and the communion service a sacred act.  It is also carrying out the last words of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus, before His death!”  Do this in remembrance of me!

THE MOST profound thought in these notes is; “But it all goes back to communion.  Communion brings each one partaking together, as one!   This special service ties everything together.  Those who prepare it; those who meditate and pray over it; those who serve it and those who are partaking of it, are submitting to God’s will be done; obeying, by living it, in preparing toward the time our duties on this earth are fulfilled!”

I READ these things written by my Mother and my heart swells with joy!   In retrospect, I wish I had listened and paid more attention to the woman she was, and not just because she was my Mother.   Often we misread those around us!   We overlook the things that they do in secret, things that arn’t apparent to our naked eye!   We think to ourselves; “oh that is just my Mother; or that’s my sister or he is my husband!”    Do we respond to God’s Word in the same way?

“YOUR WORD have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you!”   Psalms 119:11
Why do believers say the Bible is the Word of God?   In The Old Testament  “Thus says the Lord,” or an equivalent, is found more than 2000 times.   Jesus Christ unqualifiedly endorsed the Scriptures as the inspired Word of God.  Archaeology confirms the accuracy of Scriptures.  Even in our own human experiences we  respond to God’s Word in faith, and it changes us!

“BE BLESSED; God, train me in your ways of wise living.  I’ll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches.  I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you’ve done it.  I relish everything you’ve told me of life, I won’t forget a word of it!”  Psalms 119: 12-16

I NEVER wanted to disappoint my Mother, and I never want to disappoint my Savior!   My Mother’s words are a joy to me of affirmation.   God’s Word is life to me, and full of Love!   When Jesus says; “my Word keeps you from sin” what do you think?   By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/3/14

No comments: