Tuesday, March 24, 2009

LAST LETTER HOME!
My brother Lonnie
joined the Navy during WWII. He served on an Air Craft Carrier and even crossed the equator. During those days that was a big thing! The Sailor’s commemorated that feat by having their left ear pierced. Lonnie returned home after his time in the service but never talked much about his service of duty.

Jim’s brother Glenn was a B24 Pilot in the Air Force during WWII. His plane was shot down over Germany and he was taken captive. He spent 9 months moving from one Stalag to another. Glenn returned home and would reveal bits and pieces of his captivity but didn’t really talk much about his experience.

Jim’s nephew Russell was an artillery officer in the Army during Viet Nam. He lost one of his legs due to friendly fire but never regretted his time served for his Country. Russell’s father, Carl was also an Air Force Pilot and flew a B17 in WWII. In 1952 during the Korean conflict, he was flying a B47 for the Air Force. He had landed his troubled plane, which was on fire. He was the last one out and upon exiting something caused him to return to the plane and it exploded. He suffered 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body. He died a few days later!

Denny, the husband of my niece Judy, was injured from a mine explosion during Viet Nam and has suffered many years from those wounds. Just a few years ago he had his leg amputated. In both of our families many have served our Country through the armed forces. Some during peace times and some during not so peaceful times. I suppose the stories could go on and on about the ravages of war in families that were closely associated to the men and women who have served.

In 1968, I cut out of our local newspaper an article entitled; "Marine’s last letter home found in a personal Bible". 41 years ago a family read this letter and mourned the loss of their son. Every time I read this letter, I too mourn the loss of their son! It reads as follows:

"Dear Mom and Dad; This will be my last letter. It will be delivered to you in case of my death. Believe me, this is an extremely hard letter to write,. But I must face reality! I want you to please remember two things. I hope they will both help and comfort you. First, I died for a cause in which I fully believe - in a fashion that goes with our name. Second, when I die, I fully believe that my soul will go to heaven. I believe in God and I believe he looks after his loved ones. So you know that I am really all right and I will see you both some day. I want you to know that I love you all very much. You are the most wonderful family that anyone can ever ask for, and I thank God that I was so fortunate. Please don’t let this create a bitter feeling in your hearts for the service or for the war. I guess it is something that will have to be done and men will have to die to do it. I know the blow will be terrible, but I am praying that God will give you the strength to face the fact and he will console you...I love you all so much!"

The ultimate sacrifice can be made during war! Physical and psychological conditions can be the result of war! The wind blows strong during the winters of war! But the love for our Lord is what gives us the strength to see it through. Prayer, day by day, is the key! Jane Ann

No comments: