Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We are fixed and ready to go again. We began last week with a series of devotions that look at situations that were successes but could have been failures. Think on these things!

I NEVER MET A PIZZA I DIDN’T LIKE!
When my children
were preschool age and while living in California it was so easy to have Jim stop on his way home and pickup dinner. Even though I had been cooking for years, it was not my expertise or perhaps, just laziness. We could have chicken, Chinese food, BBQ, Hamburgers, Strawberry pie and of course "pizza". One Saturday night Jim went to our local Pizzeria to get a pizza just for the two of us to eat at home. Sort of a "date night"! The pizzeria was crowded with no elbow room. Jim accidently bumped a guy who obviously had already been partying and was quick to apologize. When Jim finally got his pizza, he paid for it and walked out the door. The same man and a few of his buddies were waiting for him!

You have to understand that Jim is a very gentle, quiet man who is not quick to anger nor physical violence. The man approached Jim and made advances and then took a swing at him. Jim ducked ! My Jim, with fancy footwork and presence of mind, picked the man up and lifted him over his shoulder and into the wall behind him. Praise the Lord for the wall! When Jim arrived home he was so nervous and upset that he was unable to eat any pizza and felt our date night was ruined. Now me; I was so proud I told everyone about Jim protecting his pizza and himself. The first question always is; " what happened to the pizza"? I asked that same question! Jim said he sort of frizzed-be’d the pizza when he saw the confrontation coming and it landed top side up on the ground. To this day, pizza is still one of Jim’s favorite foods. He hasn’t had to fight for it since that day, but he knows it isn’t really good for him. but he still says; "he has never met a pizza he didn’t like"! The word is that Nobody, messes with Jim and his pizza’s!

We don’t always know what will happen to us! We are not always looking for problems!
As a matter of fact, most of the time, we are just not expecting physical confrontations. On occasion, we receive an invitation that will say; "come prepared" to do something or other. A school teacher will sometimes give instructions to "come prepared". If you are a member of a swim team you are always prepared with swimsuits, towels and perhaps goggles. If you snorkel you are prepared with even more. Recently there has been a home and auto insurance ad that says; "Life comes at you fast". If you live in the fast lane, life comes at you even faster.

In Revelation it says the church is to be prepared and to be ready for when the Lord returns in all His glory. Throughout the scriptures from Genesis through Revelation, God gives us instructions on how to worship and how to live a Godly life. He gives us directions on how to belong to Christ. He encourages us to stand against all of Satan’s arrows and to realize this is God’s battle and we are His warriors. He leaves nothing out! In 2 Chronicles 20:15-17, the Spirit of the Lord is speaking to all of Israel. He is preparing them for battle! One of the things that God says is; "Fear not, and be not dismayed at this great multitude; for the battle is not yours but mine. He further says; "You will not need to fight in this battle; take up your position, stand still, and see the victory of the Lord on your behalf". Later on God again says "Tomorrow you are to go out against them, and the Lord will be with you"! When we experience one of God’s miracles, He lifts us up. He shows us His care and protection! The next day we are able to be strong and courageous! We can face anything!

When we obey the commandments of God, He lifts us up out of the miry clay. So what if life comes at us fast? What if the earth quakes? But what if God is our Lord and shield? Whom should we fear or be afraid? I can take my position and stand firm because the victory is the Lords.! No one can mess with me and my Lord, especially when I have His armor on.
Being prepared is what Christianity is all about! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/4/08

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Good reminders. It is so easy to get caught up in the fast lane of life. So many distractions. I have a very hard time deciding which things are distractions and which are God's calling. All the things I want to do are very good things but I have to ask myself--how do these things contribute to the bottom line? Is my life helping others come closer to Christ and His saving grace? I am comforted by the OT scripture that says WHEREVER YOU GO I WILL BE WITH YOU. That tells me I am free to choose where to work but to find creative ways to honor God and draw others to him through WHATEVER I do. There is a fine line to draw and I'm not sure I draw it very well.