Thursday, March 19, 2009

SUPERSTITIONS!
Like you,
I have grown up with many superstitions like black cats, walking under ladders, itchy palms. Walking on cracks, breaking your mother’s sugar bowl and eating the last piece of whatever. Some have been referred to as ‘old wives’ tales and others I am sure have been handed down through the ages because of something that may or may not have happened but became a legend.

After retirement I began to watch the home improvement and cooking shows on TV. I have to admit I have enjoyed these immensely. On one of the regular cooking shows staring Rachel Ray, one thing caught my attention. Most times when she dips into the salt bowl and sprinkles the salt into her pot on the stove, she throws the rest over her left shoulder and says; "for good luck". Where did that superstition come from?

In doing a little research through the encyclopedia I found a few religious uses for salt that perhaps could have led to this superstition and/or others. According to the Prophet Muhammad, God sent down four blessings from the sky; fire, water, iron and salt. Salt is used as the third item in the rite of the Tridentine Mass. References Celtic Consecration which includes Exorcisms. In the Hindu mythology it is used in housewarmings and wedding ceremonies. Also, in many Pagan religions, salt is a symbol of earth. A purifier of sacred space! Interesting huh? I am sure there are others but that is all I found today.

I don’t believe salt is a product that can make or break us in anyway except for how we use it. Too much is not good! Too little is not good! A balance is needed! I’ve heard it said that if you add your seasonings, including salt, towards the end of your cooking the flavors are fresh and you don’t need to use as much. Whereas, if you season and salt early in your cooking you keep adding because it never quite tastes like you have enough.

Another superstition is; "Never watch a pot boil". I suppose if you are watching, it appears to take longer than if you just let it boil. Well, I believe you need to keep an eye on the boiling pot because I forget and have come back to a sizzling pot that has nothing left to boil. If you had salted the water before boiling it leaves your pot in a poor state. I think the superstition should be; "Never leave a pot to boil" because you could burn your house down. Never over season because instead of building bridges you could be burning bridges. Instead of a tasty dish to serve before kings you could be serving burnt toast and no one will want to come back to your dinner parties.

Leave superstitions behind you! I love the sermon on the Mount. If you want guidance on how to live a Christian life, it is all there. In the latter part of chapter 6 Jesus is talks about dealing with trust and/or anxieties. What you should eat or wear leads the topic. "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things shall be yours as well. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day’s own trouble be sufficient for the day"; verses 33-34. Throwing salt over your shoulder for good luck isn’t going to cut it. Being Irish won’t bring you good luck but I do enjoy reading the Irish blessings and inspirations. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, soul and might! Jane Ann

No comments: