Sunday, October 16, 2011

THE PASTOR'S IN MY LIFE! 10/16/11

WHEN I was a girl I met Mr. Ellett! He was out front of the church building unlocking the door in preparation for Sunday morning. My sister Janice was about 13, Layton was 11, I was 9, Lynn was 8 and Joyce was 6. Just kids on our way to a new Sunday School! He was so excited as he greeted us. He took us inside and when the “morning exercises” began he introduced us. Following Sunday School, we were invited to stay for church. At the beginning of the services he introduced us again. At the end of the service he invited us kids, to attend the Friday Night Pot Luck. That was the beginning of a beautiful “love affair” between me and that whole church family. I learned everything I know today from the teachings of that body. Most importantly, I learned how to love God’s people and had a desire to serve God all my life.

JIM AND I had been married 8 years when we moved to Oregon. We began attending a small congregation, where the Pastor was just a few years younger than us. He was a Jack of all trades Pastor; as he would go, he was prepared to help. He painted buildings, worked in the garden, bailed hay and even dug ditches. I remember calling, prospective persons to whom he wanted to visit, and one said she didn’t think this was a good time because they were painting the barn. Vernon said he would go anyway and help. Once he took Jim with him to dig a trench around a garage, where the people were living while they built their house. Vernon was young but willing to learn how to be a man of God by loving His people. He encouraged Jim to read the Bible from cover to cover, which totally convicted Jim , that Christ was Lord! With Vernon, Jim and I learned how to serve God in a more active and personal way!

LYLE McCAW filled the pulpit after Vernon moved on. Now Lyle was young enough to have been my son and I suppose, I treated him as my son. He was in his growing years as a Pastor and learned what worked and what didn’t work. Lyle could sing, play the guitar and was full of energy. It was with Lyle that I was given the opportunity to teach a Ladies Sunday school class that changed my life! He would remind us often that “Go ye therefore;” means “As you go!” I realized “As you go” meant me also!

IN 2001 we moved to Klamath Falls to begin our retirement years. We attended a fairly new body that was led by Ernie Mathes. We had met Ernie many years before, while Jim was singing in the Gospel Hymns quartet. The quartet was asked to sing at their church camp. Ernie became known to me as the hugging Pastor. He had hugs for everyone! Small, big, short, tall, young or old; Ernie showed his Godly affection to all of them. It changed my perspective on hugging those, within the faith!

LATER ON this church merged with another within the same area. David Loser, a very kind, gentle and soft spoken man, was the Pastor and Ernie became the Associate. David and I became friends; so much so, that when Jim and I left to attend another church in the community, we remained friends. He is softly tucked away in my heart as he is a man with many health issues, but he loves the Lord with all his heart, soul and mind. Leaving this congregation was hard, because their love was given so freely!

TODAY we attend Shasta Way Christian Church and Don White is our Pastor. He too is a very kind, gentle and soft spoken man. His loving ways, has made him a good Shepherd of his flock, and he has drawn us into his fold. We both sat in Don’s Sunday School class and have learned from him. No matter how old you get, you still have room to learn. We took away from Don’s classes, a method for effective teaching. Jim uses it in his Sunday Class and I use it in leading the Ladies Tuesday morning Bible study. We are living proof that you are never to old to learn new tricks of the trade.

STUDY to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, but rightly dividing the Word of truth!” 2 Timothy 2:15 This was the second verse I had committed to memory, in my youth! These men in my life, have each continued my training in putting this scripture to use. I praise them and thank them! “As you go; teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always even unto the end of the world.” Matthew 28:19-20 This is the mantra of all Pastors; their passion!

“AS YOU GO” from congregation to congregation, take what you have learned and build upon it. You may not agree with all Pastors, nor like their methods of teaching, but they have chosen a righteous profession. They have chosen to be the Pastor; and that is a good thing!
By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/7/11

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

And I am SO grateful for the terrific ministers in my life. Tom who first taught me the gospel and baptized me, another Tom who was my preacher while I was in college, Russ who was my professor and scholarly mentor, and countless others I will always be thankful for.