Sunday, October 30, 2011

YOU HAD TO BE THERE! 10/30/11

THIS MORNING I would like to stay on the same theme of Pastor’s Appreciation Week, because I want to talk about a few men who were Pastor’s that made a difference in my life. I also want to talk about a couple of men who were not exactly Pastor’s, but served in these capacities because of their knowledge, ability and their love for the Lord.

WAYNE OSBORN was a man of character. You wouldn’t see him in a crowd, because he was small in stature; you wouldn’t have paid any of attention to him because of his voice, but you couldn’t help but feel his love for you and his dedication to the Lord. He had a run down old car, but would travel miles to wherever he was needed. He was filling in at one of the churches I attended, even though his health was not good, and during that time, some of churches who knew about his car, went together and bought him a better one. It was a sad day for me when He passed into glory; but oh what an afternoon he had!

I KNEW A MAN name Murray Postles! He was a tall New Zealander, with a strong accent. He was a Pastor friend of the Pastor of my youth, Mr. Ellett. Along with a few other preachers, they were traveling together in an airplane, that was in big trouble, They all had to wear parachutes. As they sat huddled together on the floor of the big plane, they prayed. The way we remember the story; they did have to parachute out of the plane and on the way down, Murray yelled; “Tally ho the fox!” Mr. Ellett kept his parachute and they both used it to talk about the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Years later we met up with Murray and his wife. She told me he was still preaching, even though he was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. I believe he was near 80 at the time! You had to be there!

ANOTHER memorable Pastor friend was Keith Sorensen. When you talked with him socially, he stuttered. But when he was in the pulpit, you could not detect that he had any defect. I know singers do this and make big bucks to boot, but Keith was a kind and gentle man with a message that came across in my heart, as one of the most unforgettable preachers I had ever met. You had to be there!

LEE KNAUSS is my brother! I guess you might say, he went to the school of hard knocks because he never attended a bible seminary nor even graduated from high school. When he fell in love with the Lord, he couldn’t keep it a secret. His love grew and grew until one day he discovered he was a Pastor of a small congregation. Most people thought of him as a singer, a member of the Gospel Hymns Quartet. But he was infectious. Sort of grew on you! I always say; “He was the most generous man I had ever met!

JIM CRENSHAW my husband, didn’t start out to be what he is today. He never dreamed he could sing; talk out loud; be an Elder; write poetry; teach a lesson; or preach a sermon. But he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him. He thought he was good enough to become a third baseman on a pro baseball team, but instead he became a man of God, and a man after my own heart. He spent almost two years in the pulpit while the church sought a new Pastor. If you ask me, he is one of best preachers, I have ever heard. I guess that is because while God knows his heart, I understand his heart!

DAN CRENSHAW my son, started his piano career at a very young age. He was amazing then and more amazing now. But he astounded me one afternoon, when I overheard him counseling a couple, regarding their children, when he was in his late twenties. Astounded, is a mild word for how I felt. Dan is very much like his Dad, in that he doesn’t offer verbal corrections or admonitions unless the situation warrants it. Dan was working in a church as an Administrator and worship leader. So very talented and now I knew he was also very dedicated to his Lord. Do you know how that feels to a mother when she witnesses her child standing tall in the Lord, with deep concern in his voice? Did I cry? You had to be there!

THROUGH THE YEARS I have come to realize that “As you go” to make disciples is not just talking to the preacher or even to a few men and women, who draw people through their charismatic ways. It is talking to all those who have come to know the Lord, and desire with all their hearts to serve him. Can that be you? Parents who are disciples of Christ, have an awesome responsibility in rearing their children. I am not talking about the usual; I am referring to teaching them about a personal relationship with God. We are all disciples of Jesus Christ and therefore, we should be making disciples of our children and their children. “As we go” we take Jesus Christ with us, and those we meet, love them with God’s love. “And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 13:52 By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/17/11

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

Yes indeed, JaneAnn. The admonition to share the Message is for ALL of us. That is part of the priesthood of all believers. We speak to God on behalf of the people, and we speak to people on behalf of God.

That is so wonderful that your brother and his wife had that many years together. What a blessing!

(By the way - I'm also a Danny Crenshaw fan)