Saturday, August 28, 2010

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER! 8/28/10

THE OTHER MORNING I saw a banner outside of one of our most prestigious Jewelry stores in the town I live. It said; "we buy gold and diamonds!" For the past couple of years an advertisement on television requested that you send them your gold watches and jewelry and you could make money. Enough to maybe take a vacation. If I have learned anything in my many years, I have learned that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!

DOES ANYONE sell their diamonds? I wonder! I gave my diamond out of my engagement ring to my daughter when she celebrated her 25th birthday. Not because I didn't want to keep it any more, but I wanted to give her something that was precious to me. We had the diamond mounted in a beautiful setting with some sapphires which are her birth stones. A beautiful ring for a beautiful daughter. Both remain in my heart forever.

BUT AGAIN, does anyone sell their diamonds? I suppose to a pawn shop for its redeemable value. I suppose because it has no heart felt value. Perhaps you didn't like the one who gave it to you or you just found it and decided to dispose of it. It is ironic how we can place monetary value on some things that can do nothing except have shine and glitter, while other things, that are extremely important, we just cast aside. We give no value of importance; we forget them!

I PLACE much importance on my memory because my mother's memory faded in her old age. I place significance upon my children, husband and family because I could never replace them. I have decided that much of who I am is seen in what I consider to be valuable, such as my possessions. Are you like that? Do you look upon your life as something to be desired by others; perhaps influential?

"DO NOT TOIL to acquire wealth; be wise enough to desist. When your eyes light upon it, it is gone; for suddenly it takes to itself wings, flying like an eagle toward heaven." Proberbs 23:4-5 I suppose the writer is saying acquiring wealth can be easily lost, just as if it had wings and could fly. We know all to well how quickly the pay check goes and how long we wait until we get paid again. Abundance is always a good thing but placing all our eggs in one basket can cause us to suffer.

I REMEMBER once being asked how many karats my diamond had. I didn't have a clue and never really thought about it. I asked Jim and he said; "I am sure it is probably a full cucumber." Obviously, he didn't have a clue either. I know I have learned how many karats, but because it has never been an issue for me, I don't remember; I have already forgotten how many karats!

THE VALUE I held in my diamond was that Jim saw it and bought it for me. That is what makes it precious! That is why I wanted Jennifer to have it! When something is precious we savor it with joy and we share it with gladness of heart.

"BEHOLD, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and he who believes in Him will not be put to shame." 1 Peter 2:6 "To you therefore who believe, He is precious! 1 Peter 2:7a This cornerstone is far more precious than any diamond available on the market, no matter how many karats. This cornerstone is given with gladness of heart; to be received with joy.

"BUT FOR THOSE who do not believe, the very stone which the builders rejected has become the head of the corner, and a stone that will make men stumble, a rock that will make them fall; for they stumble because they disobey the word as they were destined to do." 1 Peter 2:7b-8 Those who do not accept Jesus as the Son of God are destined to fall. We place value in worthless things! Choose the cornerstone and live forever! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 8/25/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

That story about your diamond size sounds very familiar. I remember that time. When that question is asked the diamond must be big. No one ever asks me that about mine. It is obviously less than a karat. (I don't even know how to spell it.)

Great analogy today Jane Ann. Diamonds and Jesus. The diamonds do their best sparkling when reflecting the sun and we do our best when reflecting the Son.