Sunday, August 22, 2010

SIMPLY CHRISTIAN! 8/22/10

"FOR A WHOLE year they met with the church and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians." Acts 11:26b I don't think I have ever started a morning glory with a scripture but then there is a first time for everything. A simple scripture to expound a large subject. Many descriptions were given such as "the followers of the way" but the simplicity of the name Christian merely meant they were "Christ ones!"

I HAVE OFTEN wondered why so many other names have been given for those who follow Christ and yet they conclude they are Christians. Names like Baptist; Holy Rollers' Catholic; Methodist; Presbyterians; Episcopal; Lutheran; Full Gospel; and so on and on and on. Many say they go back to the basics and yet call themselves by a different name.

YEARS AGO when filling out applications or any official document the question asked was, are you Catholic or Protestant. My answer was always; "Christian!" Have you ever been asked the question; "What do you believe?" From some perspectives the principle answer is "no creed but Christ, no book but the Bible!" I believe that is a basic fundamental answer for a sufficient guide to sound doctrine.

SO I ASK YOU Morning Glory followers; "What do you believe?" I know what my answer is, do you? I love reading about church history. In the back of Halley's Handbook he gives a history of the church that is compacted into a few pages that are easy to read. He writes with an understanding of what he reads and not one who only writes about what he believes. His insights are still being used by Theologians of today. I received my first Halley's Handbook when I graduated from highschool and I use it today, as my basic handbook to the Bible.

WHEN THE CHURCH started it was led by God's providential hand; was founded during the Roman Empire; when Rome fell the church spread rapidly. A tolerance movement began which granted to all Christians and to all others, full liberty to follow any religion they chose. Constantine favored Christianity! Eventually, Christianity became the state's religion and eventually the church was made into the image of the Roman Empire. The church changed in nature and began to move into great apostasy and became a political organization and then into the Papacy. The Pope became it's rule!

THEN THE REFORMATION began to move. Many more years passed until the Reformation became as we know it today. The church went back into it's beginning and then became known as the Protestant Movement. Whatever happened to simply, Christian?

a) "I BELIEVE the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book." Abraham Lincoln b) "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible." George Washington c) "The Bible is the sheet-anchor of our liberties." U.S. Grant d) "The New Testament is the very best book that ever was or ever will be known in the world." Charles Dickens

I HAVE NO quarrel with these churches that call themselves by a different name, after all; "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters." Matthew 12:30 Those who preach Jesus Christ is not against Him. I preach Jesus Christ! He is the bond that encourages us to be in fellowship with one another.

LET'S BE CAREFUL to believe what we read in God's Word, and not read only, what we believe. "Study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed but rightly dividing the Word of Truth!" 2 Timothy 2:15 Simply Christian? I am; and happy that merely the name sends Satan packing! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 8/20/10

No comments: